Thread: where to "vent"

wowchad
    i just bought my first jet and figured this would be the best site on the net for q&a, plus meetting some new people interested in similar things as me. so hello all!
    i am still working out bugs on my 21' challenger jet, only have on 50 hrs.
    i'm getting water in my gas, and i've got it pinpointed to a bad vent design.
    the 460ci is making too much presure in tank and has overwhelmed the baffle in the vent, i think!?!
    right now the vent is in the typical spot up front under the side of hull, but not in the water, of course.
    where should i run it, or what could i do to rectify this problem?

Jungle Boy
    My vent on the pleasure boat is about 4 inches from the fill cap. Never had any problem with water getting in the tank.
    JB

SoCalPower
    Hey wowchad,
    welcome!!
    The routing of the vent hose is important. It should be looped as high as possible under the gunwale. Also, depending on where your fills are located, you can block the vents and replace your fills with a vented still.
    db

wowchad
    S.C.P. I don't understand, even if I loop the vent high if it's under negitive pressure won't it still suck in water?
    I'll try the vented cap, but idealy should there be a baffled "in vent" and a baffled "out vent"?
    I can blow into my vent hard enough to hear air bubbles in the tank.
    p.s. i have a trip planned to the mississippi in 4 days!

wowchad
    bump

SoCalPower
    wowchad:
    bumpbump??
    Where is your fill located and where is your vent tube on the tank located? It sounds like the vent tube might be in wrong position in the tank. Is this a bow tank or do you have saddle (side) tanks? The tube should be at the highest portion of the tank and it should not be submerged in fuel. If this is the case, a "pumping" action can occur in the vent tube and suck in water if the vent (hull mounted) is submerged in water at some point while you are running, perhaps during turns. Routing the vent hose high, generates a longer path for the water to travel plus it has to overcome gravity to get to the tank.
    I hope this all makes sense to you. If not, maybe one of our resident experts will take the floor......
    [ July 24, 2002, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: SoCalPower ]

wowchad
    ya bump means, ya know, "hey still lookin for an answer here", and puts the post back toward the top so people look at it.
    anyway i solved the problem with a fuel water seperator.
    had a blast at the mississippi this weekend!!!!

SoCalPower
    Water sep is a must but it doesn't solve the problem. Is there water in the cartridge?? drain it in a glass container so you can see the separation of the fluids.