Thread: Top mount starter?

Striker27
    I have a CVX-20 with a 460 and a top mount reverse rotation starter and it is not cranking the motor over sufficiently. In other words the damn thing cranks slow. I was looking at upgradeing it to a Tilton if you guys think it is worth it. Yet where I am no one knows anything as to which Tilton to order. I know Tilton makes a starter for a 460 but is it reverse rotation? I also think they make a top mount starter but dont know if it will fit a 460 or not? Well guys any help would be appreciated if you can know of or have one. Thanx

Jet 460
    I have a 79' CVX 20 also and the guy I bought it from brought the starter in to have it freshened up and without him knowing the kid just switched heads (with an automotive one) and gave it back. Well needless to say he couldnt figure out why the boat would'nt run for a whole season then sold it to me. If you have a good shop in the area why not just have it gone thru? I had mine done and replaced the cables and it spins like crazy, good luck

Hydro-Thunder
    Yeah have it rebuilt or check Ebay there are reverse starters there all the time for the 460's.
    Jesse

FordTech
    I own a cvx20 also and had the same problems. In fact yesterday just fixed the boat. Ran a ground cable from the block to the starter. I had a hard time starting and took the starter to repair shop and he tested and tested and could not find a problem. Putting a ground cable on the starter along with 2 850 amp batteries starts the boat fine for now. But you never know. Hope this helps.

Striker27
    I am running brand new cables right now. You mentioned you put on a ground from the starter to the block. I have a cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter, where do I run the ground to the block from the starter. I might be confused on this subject can you give me a few hints. The cables are 1/0 by the way.

Striker27
    I am running brand new cables right now. You mentioned you put on a ground from the starter to the block. I have a cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter, where do I run the ground to the block from the starter. I might be confused on this subject can you give me a few hints. The cables are 1/0 by the way.

FordTech
    I have run a ground cable, 4 guage from the ground wire from where my battery mounts to the block, in this case it is on the back side of one of my heads and I put a 5\16 stud by 2 inches long where my starter bolts to the bell housing. and I installed the other end of the cable to the stud there by giving my starter the best ground possible. Sorry I got to the post so late, computer had an attitude.