Thread: CARPET REMOVAL

Spectra20
    I have a 20-ft. spectra and i am in the process of remodeling the interior and im having a problem removing the old carpet from floor of boat. Is there any thing i can use to soften the glue so the carpet can be removed easier? any ideas would be appreciated. i am also replacing the sub-floor and reglassing it.

hack job
    Spectra20:
    I have a 20-ft. spectra and i am in the process of remodeling the interior and im having a problem removing the old carpet from floor of boat. Is there any thing i can use to soften the glue so the carpet can be removed easier? any ideas would be appreciated. i am also replacing the sub-floor and reglassing it. i know this is going to sound stupid but gas works well as well and asatone. they will not hurt any thing as long as you clean up well. i would just rip it out and then use the other things with a puddy knife.
    just my.02 eek!

malcolm
    When my gas tank sprung a leak my carpet came right up!

Mandelon
    Uhh, but don't smoke then, OK? Gas may work but that's pretty dangerous. Do it out in fresh air at least.
    Removal depends on the glue. There are some specialty glue strippers out there. Jasco makes one...try a flooring supplier.
    Make sure they know your application....its not likely to be latex based so you need some sort of a petroleum based solvent.

76sanger
    i pulled my carpet......
    did it the old fashioned way RIP-N-TEAR!!!
    although it was partailly starting to fold over on the top under the gunnel.
    after i got it out. i took a 7" grinder, put a flexible grinding wheel on it and the glue came right off!! its dusty but very smooth now.

Slick
    Spectra 20, check your pm