Thread: Ride plate and intake grate ?s

78Eliminator
    A few months ago I was at Elsinore and ran over a rock by the ramps (lucky me). When I hit the rock it not only ruined my impeller (sucked up a huge rock), but put a deep sratch in my ride plate and also chipped the leading edges of the intake grate. What is the best route to repair this? I know that disturbing the smooth flow of water is a big no no, just like with an airplane. Should I replace the grate and plate, or have it welded up (scratches filled) and polished?

jerry billet
    You could probably buy a new one cheaper than repair the old one. Welding and filing may warp it and cause more harm than good.
    Nows a good time to look into diff grates.

flat broke
    Justin,
    Depending on how bad the nics in the grate are, perhaps they could be ground smooth. On the plate, I'd be its cheaper just to cut a new one that to have someone weld/grind/polish to repair your current unit. If you can do the welding however, that might make the repair more cost sensable.
    Good luck,
    Chris

78Eliminator
    flat broke:
    Justin,
    Depending on how bad the nics in the grate are, perhaps they could be ground smooth. On the plate, I'd be its cheaper just to cut a new one that to have someone weld/grind/polish to repair your current unit. If you can do the welding however, that might make the repair more cost sensable.
    Good luck,
    Chris That's what I was thinking. I suppose if I pull of the old plate, it wouldn't be hard to have someone fab one up easily. As far as the grate, I'll snap some pictures up and see what you fellas think. Thanks for the advice.