Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: More Questions!

Blown 472
    Wasn't there something about weak valve springs causing a miss stubble popping thing awhile ago?

73SangerSuperJet
    The gas is maybe a few months old in one tank (from november). The boat did see some heavy rain. The other tank (which was dry) I just put gas in on saturday on my way to the lake, but did not run off this tank. Engine problems are similar to computer problems (which is what I do all day), all you have to do is isolate all the variables, until you find the problem. So I will start with timing (since the carb worked fine before the swap, and I did swap the dist.)
    Thanks again, this board is invaluable
    Louis

73SangerSuperJet
    Ok, I got a timing light today (couldn't wait) with the advance dial on it, and what I found looked troubling. I disconnected the jet drive and turned off the headers since I was going to run for a while on the trailer. I got it set to about 11-12 BTC at idle with the light, and worked with the idle mixture screws until it idled well (I actually did that in the oppisite order). I then revved the motor to like 2500 with the light on the dampner, and the line went to ATC.... what does this mean? At that point I thought I was supposed to mess with the dial on the light, and as I increased to 28-30 degrees, the light went even farther past ATC. When I let off the throttle, the light went back to 0 degrees while the light advance was set to 12 (like it is supposed to). What the hell does this mean? did I do something wrong? I traded some guy my HEI for this used pertronix setup. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Louis
    Oh yah, and it still pops / cuts out

MikeF
    73SSJ, Do it again . You want to rev the engine up to around 3000 and adj the dial on the timing light until the timing mark gets to "0". Then look at the dial on the timing light to see your total advance.
    If you have a vacuum advance on the dist. Disconnect it and plug the fitting. It will only throw off your reading and vacuum advance is not used in boat applications. (not sure if you have it, just letting you know not to use it wink )

malcolm
    Sounds like you got a left handed timing light.
    The more I think about it it does sound like the vacuum advance is hooked up to manifold vacuum. That would cause it to retard as you hit the gas.
    [ February 10, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: malcolm ]

73SangerSuperJet
    I did rev to probably to 3800 rpms (It was cutting out and popping). To get it to go to 0 at high rpms, I had to go down with the advance on the light, not up (from 12, which is what it is at idle, down to 2-3). It seemed backwards (I even read the timing light book, and it described it the same as you guys). oh yah, no vacuum on this dist.
    I don't understand....
    Thanks,
    Louis

malcolm
    Was that dist. out of a left hand engine? I'm not sure about this, but it sounded good when I thought of it.

1tricky1
    How's the timing chain doing?

MikeF
    73SSJ, Get your HEI back and try it . Something is wrong w/ the other dist (get it checked out if you can).
    Crap, Might not work w/ your T-ram.
    [ February 10, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

malcolm
    Yeah, just for the hell of it take the cap off and check to see which way the advance will turn by grabbing the rotor. It should turn the same as direction of rotation (clockwise I think). I can't think of anything else that would make it backwards.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast