Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: More Questions!

Sleek-Jet
    73SangerSuperJet:
    Another question: can't I theoreticly put #1 werever I want? As long as #1 on the cap is lined up at TDC for cylinder #1, all should be good, right? So it should not matter if I skip a tooth from the old dist.
    Louis I have swaped a couple dist. by marking the location of the rotor on the old one and then drop the new one in at the same location, usually worked out fine.
    As far as checking #1 TDC on the distributer, it's pretty easy to check. With the plugs out, hold you finger over the #1 spark plug hole (the forward left cylinder), crank the engine till you feel the increase of pressure on you finger (it'll push your finger off the spark plug hole). Keep cranking it till you can't feel any more pressure, that's TDC. The timeing mark on the balancer should be close to 0. Pop the cap off the distributer, the rotor should be pointing at the #1 cylinder hole in the cap, or at the #1 cylinder if the cap is installed so the the #1 cylinder hole is pointing at #1.
    The distributer is usually installed so that the rotor points to #1 cylinder at top dead center, but you could actually "clock" it in any position as long as #1 is TDC.
    Just read Hal's post, he's right, if you can set your intitial timing, your close enough on the distributer installation. But it might not hurt to check.
    [ February 10, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Froggystyle
    MAke sure your harmonic balancer doesn't have multiple timing marks and you are on the wrong one.
    Sounds stupid, but do a sanity check with the spark plug method. Another way is to make sure both of your intake and exhaust on the #1 cylinder are closed with the valve cover off when it comes to TDC.
    Just checks... sounds like you have some good advice.

dyam
    I had probs like this a long time ago. Probably isn't what you have but....
    I went to an old timer that I trusted and he told me to 1.put fresh spark plug in 2.install fresh plug wires. After I told him that everything was good and that I had checked it all before, (and after he smacked he upside the head) we changed everything. Seems I had crossed #s 3 & 5 plugwires. It was poping and backfireing when I gave it gas and I couldn't hold any RPM at all.
    After we changed it all It ran smooth.
    Worth a look anyways.

dyam
    Oh yeah. One other thing. I had to run extremely large squirters and jets. I was told the size of the headers was causing a lean condition on acceleration so I went with 50cc pumps and the largest squirters I could find. I also blocked off the power valves and ran 10 bigger on the jets. I think I was running 76s in the front and 82s in the rear with slosh tubes. This was on a small block.
    Hope this helps.

Hal
    Sorry about the feul pump thing. I signed off after that post. I meant to say check the fuel pump,maybe its not delivering at the higher rpms and your going lean.

Kindsvater Flat
    Weak valve springs or flat cam. I don't think its fuel.

Chris J
    Well you definatly have a timing problem that needs be be addressed first. A couple of things come to mind. Is the rotor PHASED correctly (I suspect not). If it is, its possible that you have a hair line crack in the dist. thats causing cross fire. Also are you running a points dist? If you are it could be your dwell is too short not giving the coil enough time to charge.
    You CAN NOT just drop a dist in a GM. The reason is that there are 13 drive teeth (cam end) and only 8 cylinder. They need to be timed so that the rotor is under the #1 cylinder post of the cap when its time to fire. A easy way to see if your rotor is phased correctly is to drill a 1/4" hole into the side of the cap under the #1 post. Then mark the tip of the rotor. Shine your timing light in the hole with the engine running. You should see your mark directly under the #1 post.
    Originally posted by 73SangerSuperJet:
    Another question: can't I theoreticly put #1 werever I want? As long as #1 on the cap is lined up at TDC for cylinder #1, all should be good, right? So it should not matter if I skip a tooth from the old dist.
    Louis

jstwkd
    73 Sanger e-mail me with your number. I'll help set your timing and check everything else out.

78Eliminator
    I can't believe I didn't think of that. Cracking and popping and shooting fire out the header sounds EXACTLY like you crossed a couple wires!!!!
    Double check!
    BBC firing order: 18436572

Hotcrusader76
    Did we cover fuel pressure yet? Clean fuel filter? wink

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast