Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: More Questions!

73SangerSuperJet
    yah, only intake, dist and headers. I had to add the coil (It is from the original 455 that came with the boat) No flames though, and my version of popping is probably more cutting out (just not used to open headers). I fixed my last vacuum leak today, and I think the dist is just not advancing... I don't know.
    Thanks,
    Louis
    Also, the coil worked fine on the 455 (I actually ran the boat to about 20-30mph with the spun bearings before doing the BBC swap)

Sleek-Jet
    You might give pertronix a call. They have a phone number posted at www.pertronix.com.
    You said that your distributer was a used one. I just remembered that I had a similar problem on my boat when I bought it. It would start and run, and you could blip the throttle, but it wouldn't hold any RPMs above a couple of grand.
    I pulled the HEI, and it was full of a gunky oil/dirt/water mixture. All of the advance mechanism was gummed and corroded up and would hardly move, so I wasn't getting the amount of advance the motor needed to run above and idle (it idled fine, like there was nothing wrong). Took it apart and cleaned everything thouroghly, and put a new module, coil, cap, and rotor in it. I put it back on the motor and it worked like a new distributer, no more rough running engine.
    You might try looking and see if you have the same problem.
    [ February 12, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Chris J
    Back about 30 posts you posted the following, I don't care if you convert it to fuel injection. Unless you get 32-38 deg timing at full advance this motor ain't gonna run right. Forget about the carb and fix timing problem that's been identified.
    I did rev to probably to 3800 rpms (It was cutting out and popping). To get it to go to 0 at high rpms, I had to go down with the advance on the light, not up (from 12, which is what it is at idle, down to 2-3). It seemed backwards (I even read the timing light book, and it described it the same as you guys). oh yah, no vacuum on this dist.
    I don't understand....
    Thanks,
    Louis

Cantrip
    Sleek-Jet:
    I pulled the HEI, and it was full of a gunky oil/dirt/water mixture. All of the advance mechanism was gummed and corroded up and would hardly move, so I wasn't getting the amount of advance the motor needed to run above and idle (it idled fine, like there was nothing wrong). Took it apart and cleaned everything thouroghly, and put a new module, coil, cap, and rotor in it. I put it back on the motor and it worked like a new distributer, no more rough running engine.
    You might try looking and see if you have the same problem. This could be a definite possibility, I had a similar problem with moisture in my distributor, it gets sloshed up when the dist. starts turning. What you do to fix this is pull the dist, clean it and shoot some wd-40 on there, its conductive and it help everything move around in there. And do the electronic ign if you still have points, that is a great idea!! Damn, it looks like we need to start bringin out the big guns for this problem.... doesnt havasu barney know alot about BB motors ?
    [ February 13, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Cantrip ]

AZKC
    I was waiting for the flat cam or crossed plug wires When I hear that popping noise off idle on some car or boat thats for sale cheap. It usually turns out to be one of those. Pull the valve covers off and eyeball the rockers see if one seems to be not moving up and down as much as the others. Triple double ck your firing order. And while the valve covers are off inspect the valve springs for a broken coil, Blown472 is preachin the truth.
    My .06
    KC

Hal
    73SangerSuperJet:
    Some times she would sound good with occasional popping (sounded lean, I think). I thought maybe the timing (The whole timing thing is still a bit of a mystery to me), so I tried to set it to 9 BTC as apposed to 8 BTC.How did you set your timing at 9* apposed to 8* without a timing light?

dyam
    Hey. So what's happening with the boat?

USMC1812
    Yeah, more info!
    [ February 18, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: USMC1812 ]

dyam
    did ya sink it for the insurance or what?

73SangerSuperJet
    Jstwkd came over and figured out my timing was total advance at 15 degrees. So he upped it to 30 or 33 degrees (can't remember) and it started running better. So I took it out on the lake and it ran alot better, but same prob. It would cut out at around the same point, but when I open secondaries by hand, hold on b/c she takes off like a bat out of hell. I could not figure it out. Then when I got home I was explaining the prob to my dad when I tapped the vacuum secondary pump on the side of the carb, and noticed that it was about to fall off (hence the secondaries not opening!!!). I have not had it out again yet, but I suspect that was the final prob. Thanks for everyones help!!!!
    Louis

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567