Thread: Inducer impeller

Taylorman
    I am considering adding one of those cavitation reducing impellers. Some call it an inducer. I would like some feedback on how they work. I am looking to gain holeshot. I am curious what it does for holeshot and top end. I have a Taylor SJ with 455 Olds and Berk JE pump and AB impeller. Is it true that you have to machine down the shaft to install it.

565edge
    Taylorman:
    I am considering adding one of those cavitation reducing impellers. Some call it an inducer. I would like some feedback on how they work. I am looking to gain holeshot. I am curious what it does for holeshot and top end. I have a Taylor SJ with 455 Olds and Berk JE pump and AB impeller. Is it true that you have to machine down the shaft to install it.I belive you have to cut a key way in your shaft,from what im told they work great!

miller19j
    I know very little about them but from what I have read you need to cut a keyway and turn down the shaft so it has a shoulder to ride against.

pops1
    Taylorman:
    I am considering adding one of those cavitation reducing impellers. Some call it an inducer. I would like some feedback on how they work. I am looking to gain holeshot. I am curious what it does for holeshot and top end. I have a Taylor SJ with 455 Olds and Berk JE pump and AB impeller. Is it true that you have to machine down the shaft to install it.It requires a shaft machine for the inducer and a Keyway cut.

HBjet
    Taylorman:
    I am considering adding one of those cavitation reducing impellers. Some call it an inducer. I would recommend you get a detailed one because the stock/out of the box ones have been known to actually "induce" cavitation. I'll try to get some photo's for you so you can see for yourself what I'm talking about.
    Taylorman:
    I am looking to gain holeshot. I am curious what it does for holeshot and top end.You will get a better holeshot, but for top end it will do nothing.
    Taylorman:
    I have a Taylor SJ with 455 Olds and Berk JE pump and AB impeller. Is it true that you have to machine down the shaft to install it.Yes!
    HBjet
    [ August 09, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

blowngas
    If you have trouble "blowing" the pump out of the hole then maybe it will do something for you---a good friend with race boat had cavitation problems and it stopped it, but slowed the boat down on the top end---does your olds really cavitate the pump that bad?---if not, spend the money on something that will make more horsepower

djdtpr
    Before u spend the money on an inducer i would try a new A or AA impeller an AB is alot of rpm's for an olds especialy since they dont like turning that many anyways.You might want to check all your clearances you may have a loose pump more than likely the wear ring is getting wore out.

HBjet
    Also, what condition is your current impeller in? I would check that first. If your impeller is thrashed and you add a Cavitation Reducer, your just masking the real problem....
    So check that out first. If you can, take a photo and post it up.
    HBjet

Taylorman
    I just rebuilt the entire pump last summer. New wear ring, had the impeller remachined (thats why its an AB), new bowl bushing and everything new up front.It was my first time overhauling a pump but from what Mikes in Houston told me everything is new. My impeller looks ok. The only thing that may be hurting me is the vanes on my bowl. The leading edges are dinged up. Could that cause cavitation?