Thread: U-joint question?

stonehedge
    My engine and pump are slightly off, a tiny bit. When I put in the new motor in it was way off, I adjusted it pretty dang close, very close. Its never made any noise or cause a problem. My question is after almost 4 years of no problem is this a big concern? I've been told it affects U-joint longevity? And could affect the front pump seal? Is it anything to worry about? Just for the record most people don't even notice, but I know its off, and without buying new mounts it can't be corrected any closer? Sorry if this is a novice question.

Moomawnster
    The U-joint must have some angle to it or the bearings fail to lube correctly, not horizontal but vertical offset .... I have been running the same bearing for 16 yrs, just changed it this year cause I was there .... hope that helps .... Moo

Duane HTP
    A U-Joint usually HAS to have a little bend in it to work correctly. If it is perfectly straight, they will vibarate sometimes. Don't worry about it.
    [ June 08, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Duane HTP ]

stonehedge
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't los'n sleep over it, but I'm crazy anal with my boat, and my engine shop mech. said something and it got me thinking. Thanks again for the answers and it did help.