Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why run your scoop backwards???

PussyPusher
    Why is it that half of all the scoops I see on the lakes and rivers are backwards??? I have mine pointed forward is this wrong??
    Thanks for your answers.
    Shawn http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif
    [This message has been edited by PussyPusher (edited July 15, 2002).]

diggler
    The reverse scoop is probably on a V-drive. The engines face backwards on these type of boats.

Hallett19
    so water does not get in them, it does not help a whole lot having it facing the other way.

Jungle Boy
    I ran a backwards facing scoop on my whitewater racing boat for a while, due to fact when trying to pass someone and taking the rooster tail in the face and a direct hit on the air cleaner can put out the fire very quickly. I have now learned that if you are out front, you have nothing to worry about!!
    JB

coolchange
    If no flame arrestor, a device to direct flames out and away from pass. compartment

HBjet
    Originally posted by Hallett19:
    so water does not get in them, it does not help a whole lot having it facing the other way.
    Are you saying it doesn't help a lot by facing them forward, or reverse?
    Usually you see them backwards because if you want to not use any flame arrestors, and still be coast guard legal, then you need to have your scoop facing away from the passangers in the boat. Which in 99.9% of boats you might see with an exposed motor, it is in the rear of the boat. Another reason is because you can get water in the scoop, which if too much, that would be bad. However, I think if your boating (not racing) in conditions where water can enter the scoop, you either are boating in the wrong place, or you need to take a look at your driving habits.
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited July 15, 2002).]

djdplacecraft
    I have been told its the law in arizona that u have to face them backwards even with spark arresters.Irun on the river all the time and face mine forward and i dont run spark arresters,but i like to go where the law isnt its a little more fun not looking over your back all the time.

HammerDown
    I run mine foward with a spark arestor...its free horse power!

PussyPusher
    I un mine forward but I to use an arrestor. I was just curious because half the boats I see have them turned backwards. Thanks for the input. Wouldnt it better to run an arrestor and have air forced in the carb by speed??
    Thanks again
    Shawn

cyclone
    I run mine forward w/out flame arrestors but its got butterflies so I'm farely safe. If there was ever a fire i could just take my foot off the gas and let the butterflies close. Plus the cops can't see inside when the boat is not running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast