Thread: In case it ever happens....

diggler
    What are the symptoms of a spun rod bearing or a spun main bearing?
    I just want to know in case it ever happens to me so I shut down the engine immediately.
    Oh, also, what happens if I keep running it and ignoring the sound? (not that I'd ever do it, just curious)

Derk, do you really want to jinx yourself by asking this question?
    The two most noticeable symptoms would be falling oil pressure and knocking sound(deep for main bearing, a bit less deep for rods) that gets louder and louder.....Both are due to the increaded clearance between crank and bearing.
    If you ignore the symptoms, there will likely be a "BANG" sound followed by a dead motor and the ability on your part to closely examine internal engine components WITHOUT any disassembly required.
    Keep your eye on the O.P. gauge. If it is showing pressure different than what you are accustomed to seeing, be wary. If you start hearing a regulary spaced knock, shut it off. Your headers may cover up some of the sound, but the difference will be apparent.

Reno, Witchcraft
    Dirk, What's Up? Please don't tell me that you are hearing these noises? When are you going to make it up to reno? Have to leave for a couple of weeks for work on the 12th of october till the 26 but after we will have to have you up for a weekend and party. Also can't find your # again e-mail it to me.
    Tyeson

diggler
    Reno, Witchcraft:
    Dirk, What's Up? Please don't tell me that you are hearing these noises? When are you going to make it up to reno? Have to leave for a couple of weeks for work on the 12th of october till the 26 but after we will have to have you up for a weekend and party. Also can't find your # again e-mail it to me.
    TyesonHey Tyeson! I tried your XXX@msn.com e-mail you sent me, but it didn't work. No problems at all with this, I just wanted to know in case it ever happened. Boat ran great last weekend in a poker run. I had my finest moment of my life passing a 42' Fountain while doing 70mph!
    I'll send a private message with the e-mail.
    Thanks OldSquirt also! I hope I didn't jinx myself!