Thread: brand new hull ,old trailer..

roco racing
    new to the board.looks like tons of good info..my question is i have a brand new emil. daytona graphite/kevlar lay up sitting on a mid 90s competitive trailer. the hull doesnt sit perfectly on the bunks ,3/8 -1/2inch gap between the hull and trailer bunk at the rear of the boat, ive heard this can lead to problems like putting a hook in the hull. should i fix it after the motor and hardware is in or do it now? any help is greatly appreciated.

77charger
    i would fix it now either way it should sit right with or w/o motor.

superdave013
    I also would do it now. When the engine is installed it could cause the boat to flex a tad. If you know it's tight and right empty then you can sleep with that warm fuzzy feeling that your rig is supported right.
    Oh, welcome to the forums.

roco racing
    ok ill fix it now. whats the best way to fix this type of thing ? put shims under the bunks? new wood? the bunks aernt in bad shape i just dont know if they have been warped or what the best way to do this is.thanks--big help

Bense468
    I would crawl under it and look at it first. Do the boards looks warped? Are they just not in the right place? Maybe you need to re-position them to a new location on the trailer. I am no expert but this is where I would start. From there get the boat off the trailer and do what needs to be done. If it is a short fix maybe you can make up the new bunks and install them in the parking lot when the boat is in the water. Or get some buddies and set the boat in the yard.

slotracer2
    play it safe replace the bunks with new pressure
    treated 2xs' cheap insurance. lift one side of the boat with a floor jack replace that side then do the other side. did mine that way only took couple hours. pat(slotracer)

Froggystyle
    The Daytona's bunks are completely straight, so if there is a gap, my guess is that the board is warped, or that the trailer is failing.
    DO NOT USE PRESSURE TREATED WOOD!!!!
    This is a common mistake, but PT wood is for insect protection, and the process it goes through (Penetrating the wood with "needles" and injecting the pesticide) does not work well in trailer applications. The wood stays soft, very flexible and bolts pull through it. In addition, all of those little slots the needles cut weaken the wood and provide places for water to collect.
    The jury has decided that kiln dried fir is the deal. Just use regular clear wood, and work install normally, making sure to leave a gap in the carpet underneath for water to drain out.
    Squirts up!

roco racing
    ok.i got it.non pressure treated wood.kiln dried fir. i just dont know how to get the bunks to conform to the hull shape,i guess ill try putting spacers under the bunks where they bolt up to the trailer.any other ideas? thanks guys ...