Thread: I need help choosing a cam

J-P-JETTER
    I got a chevy 454, Kachina jet boat, Berkely JG
    not sure what cut. At 4200rpm I go around 56-58 on gps. I'd like to run around 4800-5000. Can this be done without special cut-out dome pistons. I got stock ones now. What part # and brand would you all recamend? Prefferably hydrolic. My 454 is stock other than a Msd dist. & torqer intake. Over the transome wet headers.

77charger
    hydraulic would be a good choice if you dont want to worry about clearances and periodic valve adjustments.
    comp ratio,intake,and headers are one thing to look at before choosing a cam some will only work with a 10-1 and up motor while others will work well with lower comp ratio.
    I have run the comp cams 292 magnum in a 396 with good results but that was a 10-1 motor w/4.56 gears.For a boat and an a cut i' look for around a 225-230@.50 duration with a lift of around535-545 lift also look into lobe centers i myself like a 108

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    JP,welcome to the boards wink I have 2 buddies that have Kachinas and we live in mesa too Shoot me an email with your phone number and we could meet up. As of right now there are 7 of us that live in mesa with jets. we are all planning on hitting up the lake this summer. If you need something I can help you out wink 3 of us work at autozone so we get discounts all over town. I think 77charger hit the hammer right on the nail. you dont really want to go over 230@50 duration. There are a lot of people that overcam a boat and they actually dont use what they have. It sometimes can rob you of performance. I am going to call george @ clay smith cams and have him custom grind one to perfectly match my motor and pump. Another thing you want to factor in, make sure your pump is "tight" meaning clearences. email me and I can possibly help you or we can just meet up and hit the lake wink My email add is MRFIERMAN78@HOTMAIL.COM

J-P-JETTER
    Thanks 77 charger. Some day I would like to move into an eliminator, but for now I'll enjoy my Kachina.
    396 I e-mailed you. We must of met at least once. Sugauro lake is so close that I was there often. Think I'll get a gold pass this year...You'll read the rest in the E-mail I dropped ya. Thanks...

77charger
    J-P-JETTER:
    Thanks 77 charger. Some day I would like to move into an eliminator, but for now I'll enjoy my Kachina.
    ... Thers nothing wrong with the jets.I had one all my life and have learned alot about boating from it a very good learning experience as far as motors go and the expenses of boat ownership.But now with a family i need room for them.
    Btw i checked a summit catalog i had and they had some comp cams the 270 magnum and 280 magnum looked like good choices they make power to around 5k thru 5300 rpm
    270Mag 224@.50 510 lift
    280- 230@.50 520 lift
    both are hydraulics

Froggystyle
    I don't know the number, but a lot of member have gotten extremely good advice regarding cam selection from George at Clay Smith Cams. He really knows boats, and has given stellar advice in the past.
    Good luck!