Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HP or TORQUE

mikey-jones
    which is more important on a jet boat?

SPECTRABRENT
    TORQUE

Clown
    If you have a light weight hull your not going to need Gobs of torque. But it helps get the ball rolling. when you add nitrous to a motor the torque#
    Goes up alot in the lower RPMs .
    Even though its my opion "Peak HP matters"
    Unless your pushing bardges around in the water.
    A jet pump is a REAL LIFE dyno, but on the water!
    eek! eek!

Clown
    TORQUE=HP

Jordy
    Clown:
    TORQUE=HPThat's an interesting statement. Care to elaborate it? Especially since damn near every motor I have seen run produces two different curves when put on the dyno, one representing peak HP which 99% of the time comes in at a different RPM than peak Torque, hence the two curves.
    Now based upon your statement, there would only be one curve representing torque and horsepower. Like I said, please elaborate and educate the rest of us as you seem to be all knowing on every topic and quick to talk shit about everyone elses boats and motors.
    Thanks
    Jordan

MikeC
    Torque > HP > RPM > Velocity > Speed........
    Or
    Torque > Slow Jet Boat
    Many Ideas have been stated over the years on the net, I like the one that say's, "Make sure you have the torque to take you to the RPM's that you can afford to run at". 4000 - 4500 r's is extremily easy to do with a junk yard BB anything in a Jet Boat. Nothing wrong with going 50 - 65 mph at that.
    MikeC
    PS:
    Don't buy into the RV cam theory, no matter how much Torque you throw at water,,, there is no way in Hell to compress it.

Jordy
    I found this kind of interesting:

Torque and horsepower are very closely related. We can see that a high revving motor does not need to produce much torque to get lots of horsepower. Similarly, a high torque engine may not develop lots of horsepower.
    Hmm. Looks like Horsepower doesn't necessarily equal torque. That's a curve off of a big block Chevy too.
    Jordan

Clown:
    TORQUE=HPMore correctly, HP = Torque x RPM /5252.
    I was always taught that it was torque(or more correctly, an engine's torque curve) that determined acceleration. Horsepower, being a calculation of the work an engine can perform, determines the max attainable speed.

SPECTRABRENT
    I want to correct myself its not torque or hp, its
    CUBIC DOLLARS that makes your boat run fast.
    Brent

mikey-jones
    so correct me if i am wrong
    high RPM and the right impeller determine your top speed , horsepower determines your higher RPM. and torque gets you goin. something like that?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast