Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORGED BLOWER PISTONS VS. NATURALLY ASPIRATED ONES

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    WHAT ARE THE MAIN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN NATURALLY ASPIRATED ENGINE PISTONS AND BLOWN PISTONS, ASSUMING BOTH ARE FORGED? CAN BLOWN PISTONS BE PLACED IN A BLOCK AND FOR A SHORT WHILE TO BE FED BY A CARBORATOR? (MAYBE JUST A WASTE OF MONEY FOR A SHORT TIME)? WHAT J/E (OR THEIR LESS EXPENSIVE LINE) PISTONS WOULD FIT THIS BILL? IT WILL TAKE ME A WHILE TO GET THE WHIPPLE CHARGER FUNDS SAVED UP, AND WANTED TO RUN THE 502 IN THE MEAN TIME ON JUST A CARBORATOR. IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO INTO THE ENGINE TO CHANGE OUT PARTS WHEN THE TIME CAME TO GO BLOWN IT WOULD BE A LOT BETTER! (AND I THINK CHEAPER)..BILL.

Blown 472
    You will have lower comp ratio, if you dont mind running a carb on a low comp motor, it wont do anything to it. I put together a 7.70 to 1 440 and broke it in on a carb and drove it with a single carb, it was kinda a dog but it ran fine.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    should be very 'pump gas friendly'.......

Duane HTP
    Definitely go with the blower pistons. Then it's done. Might be a little dogie at first, but the blower pistons are much thicker to dissapiate the heat from the motor once the blower is put on. The top rings on the blower piston will be further down from the heat too. Then when you are ready to put on the blower, the engine will be broke in and the rings seated good.
    [ September 23, 2003, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Duane HTP ]

Blower pistons have a stronger oil ring land. Most nat. asp. pistons use a oil slot for return, blower pistons are drilled, less material is removed making the piston stronger.

Blown 472
    058:
    Blower pistons have a stronger oil ring land. Most nat. asp. pistons use a oil slot for return, blower pistons are drilled, less material is removed making the piston stronger. What about a trw forged, non blower application??

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    THANKS, ALL!
    ... HEY OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET: THAT SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER, AFTER SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY I'LL BE ABLE TO TELL THE WIFE HOW CHEAP IT WILL BE TO BUY GAS FOR THE BOAT NOW??!
    ...DUANE HTP- IF I WERE TO SHAVE THE HEADS COULD SOME, OR A LOT, OF THE C.R. BE RETURNED TO GET A LITTLE MORE OUT OF THE MAGNUM 502 THAN STOCK POWER(WITH THE BLOWER PISTONS WE'VE BEEN DISCUSSING)?
    ...058: SO FOR GETTING A LOT BETTER PISTON, I GET BETTER OIL RETURN TOO? KOOL....THANKS! BILL.

ttmott
    If running less than 8.0:1 make sure the cam is really low on duration (valve overlap)so the effective compression will be up. The only other problem with dished pistons and no forced induction is two things:
    1. The quench area, if you are running quench or closed chamber heads, is gone and the flame front will not be proper causing a bad fuel burn.
    2. The cylinder turbulence is not as good due to the VE being so low and again bad fuel mixing and uneven burn.
    But, it will run....
    TM

Duane HTP
    Bill, you can buy blower pistons that are flat top and you won't have to worry about the heads. Call Probe, or Ross, they can help you

superdave013
    I ran flat top Ross blower pistons for years. I leaned on them really hard and they held up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast