Thread: Wear Ring

Taylorman
    So im looking for a wear ring to install my new bronze impeller. I have spoken to Duane at HTP and he says he has an Ultimate wear ring that he has a patent on. I thought a wear ring was a wear ring. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject. I was also told that the impeller should be about .030 from the suction housing. Is this right?
    [ March 01, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Taylorman ]

Wet Dream
    I hope I don't get this wrong, but rumor has it that this Ultimate wear ring will clearance itself when installed. I'd imagine that it is some sort of sort of semi-hard poly, a little oversized, and burns off the required clearance needed.

wideopen545
    bill iam using duane's setup and it works fine

NeoBurn
    Is this the teflon wear ring setup?

ChetCapoli
    Taylorman:
    I thought a wear ring was a wear ring. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject. I was also told that the impeller shoud just barely touch the wear ring. Is this right? although you bust my chops taylor, i figured i'll be nice and answer your question being i have one in my boat. Aside from being pricey($125)(<-----see hb i can spend money on stupid stuff too! ) it's pretty nice. Looking back now i should have just gotten a regular one since i think the clearance(.025) is all that really matters. It elimates the wear ring liner and just pops in with a rubber mallet and comes out just as easy which is a plus.It also will give before you impeller does which is also a plus..a brass one will too but not as much. Anything is better than those flat SS factory berk ones IMO. Aside from that the brass lipped deals are just as good if you dont want to spend the extra cash.
    Do you have a lipped wearring? You post seems to imply you have a regular one.
    CHET

jweeks123
    Aside from being pricey($125). It's pretty nice.
    chet, what's the bang per buck quotient here?
    Anything is better than those flat SS factory berk ones IMO.
    why is that?
    jw

Taylorman
    [ March 01, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Taylorman ]

ChetCapoli
    jweeks123:
    Anything is better than those flat SS factory berk ones IMO.
    why is that?
    jw well jw, isnt it harder for water to go 90deg first then 180deg instead of vice versa??? More effecient yes??
    CHET

jweeks123
    isnt it harder for water to go 90deg first then 180deg instead of vice versa??? More effecient yes??
    CHET
    I don't follow your logic here. can you explain why there is a difference between the water leakage path with either style of wearring? do you other guys see a diff??
    jw