Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olds oiling problem

Taylorman
    Has anyone ever considered going to a dry sump oiling system to fix the olds oiling problem. Would this fix the problem or not. Im not sure how much it would cost to switch to this type of system. Just a thought. No "Why not switch to a BBC" or "Why not use your 455 as a boat anchor" comments please, we see those enough.

rmclague
    The oiling problem is actually not that hard to fix. the problem is two-fold. First the main oil galleys are too large causing oil to be taken to the top end too fast. Second the drains (for lack of a better word) or return gallies are too small. So the top end gets all the oil leaving the bottom end to starve. The solutions #1 Oilrestrictors in the main gallies available from mondellos for about $15.00. 2nd and this is a little more tricky, emlarge the head return gallies. Be very carefull here as there is not much material here and if you go to far you end up in the water jackets with a ruined head. Most people leave this step out. 3rd Run a large capacity oil pan with more oil available for circulation. I can not be sure but I really doubt that a dry sump would correct these problems you really need the restrictors to keep more oil in the bottom end @ high RPMs
    Thats all I have to say about that
    Rob

travis hathaway
    After hearing all the problems with Olds oiling systems and having gone thru the fixes with my 455; three times before getting it right: I have a couple of ideas. Firstly, I did all the stuff except enlarging the oil returns. Yesterday my buddy ( sleekcraft76) and I were just checking under the valve covers, his 460 and my 455 after tuning and running about 15 hours on each engine, we noticed that the olds return holes are larger than the fords. Also, I would like to see some clear plastic valve covers so that while running you could observe whats happening under those covers. You know, like the ones made for Chevys.

Blown Olds
    E-MAIL REX ONE HE HAS ALL THE ANSWERS. HAS HELPED ME MANY MANY TIMES HES MY BRO. eek! eek! eek!

malcolm
    The problem with the Olds drainbacks aren't the size of the hole, it's the angle of the passage. It's almost flat, no wonder the oil stays up there too long. I'm going to put in external drains on the back of the heads to the pan.

Old Guy

Nujetter
    Help me out guys (and gals), Im new to jets and will be purchasing my first very soon. Alot of what I have seen has 455's in them. Are there alot of problems with the olds? Something I should avoid? Im looking for something I can build up to get some good speed out of eek!

malcolm
    I liked the pics on the Banderlog link. All except the one where they ran the hoses uphill back to the pan. That'll slow the oil down for sure.

malcolm
    Nujetter,
    The 455 powered boats aren't built for long wide open runs. If you wanna be able to hold the throttle down for extended periods I would suggest a Chevy or Ford. Or If you're like me and just like the underdog (and the cheaper price), grab an Olds boat. Just be carefull it doesn't have a rod hanging out of the pan.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    malcolm:
    Nujetter,
    The 455 powered boats aren't built for long wide open runs. If you wanna be able to hold the throttle down for extended periods I would suggest a Chevy or Ford. Or If you're like me and just like the underdog (and the cheaper price), grab an Olds boat. Just be carefull it doesn't have a rod hanging out of the pan. I have to agree with Malcom.I have 2 boats and one has a 455 olds in it. I am rebuilding it right now. I am thinking of running return lines to the oil pan. It looks like a good idea except I would route my lines to the rear of the pan. If you buy a boat with a 455 olds in it you have to baby it. In other words "You need to treat it like a harley, and NOT like a rice rocket". When you see a harley they usually dont run them redline for a long period of time. On the other hand ricerockets can run in the redzone without failure. Now if you have some serious money then sure you can run it like a chevy but it will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Just my .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast