Thread: dominator on my 460?

jboehm
    i need a new carb and was thinking of spending the extra cash for the dominator. would this be way too much carb for my motor or would it work ok. i plan on some changes in the future ,so this would keep me from buying another carb. motor is a ford 460 cid, mild cam ,stock heads about 10 to 1 compression with an offy port-o-sonic intake.what dominator? 1050? booster configuration?

JayBee
    Uh-oh, better look out! I sense some smartass responses to this one - based on personal experience! Check this post out:
    Carb post
    And I do think that would be waayyyyyy too much carb - but then again I obviously know nothing about this topic!
    Jason

Grain of salt Jaybee.
    Look at the last post and how long that bad boy's been sitting. I think oldphart summed it up pretty well.
    "come on guys lighten up on him, if you do the calcs we would all be running tiny 2 barrells on our engines. Jet boats run at 3500 & up all the time and that throws the calculations out the window.
    I race circle track and have a lot of back to back testing experience. The main difference between an 850,750,650 or 390 is in throttle response for the rpm run. Its all about velocity. installing a larger carb doesn't overfuel, depending on jetting its still so many cubic feet of air to so many gallons of gas. at idle we are all running the same carb.
    To answer your original question, you do now have the power to overcome your pump out the hole. Thats a good thing!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DogHouse
    If you're willing to spend a little extra, you could get into one of the Barry Grant Demon carbs with the removable venturi sleeves. That way you can start out small and then replace the sleeves later on with larger ones as your CFM requirements grow.
    -brian

Hallett19
    Talk to Ty (hotcrusader76), he owns TPCRacing, check my signature for the website. I am installing my fresh out of the box TPC Carb tomorrow. He did me up a little Holley 780 4bbl, vac secondary, billet baseplate, billet vac. secondary canister, polished the ports and boosters for my 460 Ford, really hooked it up, and it looks beautiful. I will give some performance numbers as soon as I get it on the water, hopefully no later than thursday.
    [ July 08, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

mister460
    1050 is quite a lot with just a "mild" cam. 460's do like a pretty big carb though. Try an 850 or so and see how you like it. You'll never find "just the right carb" cause that's the nature of the game. Just my 8 cents and half roll of duct tape.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    1050 is way overkill and it can cause the engine to run lean after you jet it down to keep it from bogging. 750 mechanical secondaries all around best carb IMO. will run a stock engine or a radical one. YOU CAN OVER CARB A JET BOAT!!!!
    Omega

Duane HTP
    For a well built engine, I would recommend an 0-80558 830 CFM Holley-Marine carb with race calibration-Mech Secondaries-Roller cam linkage-screw in air bleeds-4 corner idle-no choke-Annular boosters-30 cc pumps-5" air horn. List price $1,0178.85. Racers cost $598.74.
    For just a good regular 830 CFMmarine carb, 0-80443 would do the trick. List $961.80, Racer's cost $471.28.
    If you just want an 830 cfm carb and don't care how it runs get a 0-4781c List. $823.00. Racers net $375.08. (not a marine carb).
    You get what you pay for.
    Duane HTP