Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint on gelcoat question...

core attitude
    A boat I'm looking at has paint graphics sprayed over the gelcoat. The paint and gelcoat are both in good condition but the clear only over the graphics is flaking. Can anyone tell me if I can color sand the bad clear, fade the edges and shoot new clear or will I need to shoot the whole boat. The graphics drop off the top and onto the sides so I can't get away with just doing the deck.
    Thanks for the help, Pete

Jbb
    That clear is flaking for a reason!
    Paint incompatibility,poor prep work,cheap clear,Improper application technique,ect,ect
    What ever the reason it all needs to come off. Chances are that if you try to feather edge it it will just keep chipping anyway.Sand it all off and re clear!

core attitude
    Sand it all off and re clear! Easy for you to say!
    I figured as much.The flaking is only on the top but I think that is only because the sides are less exposed to direct sun light. They said that it was original and came from Miller like that in '76. I guess 26 years of exposure was to much for it. Is it possible to do a quality job without flipping it?
    Pete

miller19j
    I doubt that it came from Miller like that. Jim would not have used paint on top of gel. I am going to bet that it was added later on the boat and the trailer. Do you have any other pictures?

core attitude
    I questioned it too but it wasn't my main concern (who sprayed it). I'll post pics in a minute.
    Pete

core attitude
    Here are some more,

Any thoughts?
    Pete

miller19j
    Are you sure that it is paint under the clear? If the stripes are original gel you might be able to color sand the clear off and then polish the gel.
    It does not look like the striping on the other 76’s I have seen though.
    Any way you look at it, it will be a lot of work.

core attitude
    I don't have the skills/time/space to shoot it myself. Does anyone have a recomondation for someone in SoCal who can do a it for a fair price if I decide to bite the bullet? Any idea of what it should cost? I can do all the prep, I just want someone who can spray.
    Pete

miller19j
    Pete,
    You are quite a ways away from me so I can’t really recommend anyone. But I will tell you that you will probably save money if you do the prep. Pull the Engine, Jet, Seats, Gauges, and sand all the paint down. Then the painter just has to shoot it.
    Good luck with the project

superdave013
    I went all over So Cal getting prices. I ended up out at Havasu. I know it's a long drive but it was so worth it. Havasu Barney did a kick ass job on my boat. No paint, all gel coat.
    His link is in my sig.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/vent_and_gas_cap11.JPG[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast