Thread: New 500 HP engine: What should I do now with my 12jg pump?

probablecause
    I have a 1989 Carrear 20.5 Elite, open bow with a brand new 500 HP engine. I also have a 12jg pump that is leaking oil (thanks to all that have written me about my oil problem). My question is what should I now do with my 12jg pump. Obviously rebuild it. But since I now have the HP, should I just do a stock rebuild; add a droop snoot; change the impeller; Help???
    I just don't want to throw money into it for the 3 mph gain from an 800.00 part. I don't necessarily want top end (have friends that can peel my skin back in their jet boats, plus my hull can only do so much) but want a good out of the hole response and rapid acceleration to 60 mph.
    Also, would a "full setback" pump make a difference for the money to performance ratio???
    Talk to me goose...any suggestions and shop recommenations in Southern California (Orange Coutny) would be appreciated...don't forget the approximate price. wink
    [ August 18, 2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Paul407 ]

77charger
    a rebuild will help also if your motor makes ho in the upper rpm range you might want to consider an impeller cut to a B or an AB.i have jack at mpd(949)631-2040 do work on mine as do other people here he did an impeller detail and thinned the vane in my bowl lost 400 rpm from the work but speed(slightly) and acceleration improved allaround as the efficiency

rivercrazy
    You need to match the impeller with the peak horsepower you engine makes at that RPM level.
    I wouldnt go with any impeller smaller than an AB or you will loose major efficiency. 21 day cruisers are heavy and a larger impeller cut will still allow you to cruise at a decent rpm

bp
    77charger:
    a rebuild will help also if your motor makes ho in the upper rpm range you might want to consider an impeller cut to a B or an AB.i have jack at mpd(949)631-2040 do work on mine as do other people here he did an impeller detail and thinned the vane in my bowl lost 400 rpm from the work but speed(slightly) and acceleration improved allaround as the efficiencyMPD is just a short jog from Brea.
    1760 Monrovia A7
    Costa Mesa, Ca