Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Project Done...cracked the hull first day out....

Reds75Makai
    Well I finally finished my '75 Makai 21' jet. I built a brand new 454 for it with all the goodies a first timer to the jet boat scene could want. Spared no expense on anything and took my time to make sure everything was perfect. So after breakin the motor in Monday mornin, took her up to Beryessa for a little test ride. All was good with no problems, until I opened it up some. At half throttle she GPS'd at 72mph (not bad) for a first timer! Anyways I hit a couple of wakes and landed pretty hard comin down, I looked back and saw I was taken on water pretty bad, not good!! So I turned it around and flew back to the docks like a rocket ship. I came to the no wake zone and I panicked a little too much when i saw how much water I had taken on. No time to slow for the no wake zone. Ticket would have been cheaper than letting her sink the first day out. So now I get to spend the next few weeks reglassing the hull. Damn it was fun while it lasted.
    Here's some pics for ya guys...

1975 Makai 21' Berkley Pump with an A impellar, does need a place diverter though!

454 BBC with all new everything

Motor installed

almost done

Finally done

last pic taken before crackin the hull

Well you guys let me know what you think!!

wsuwrhr
    I think you need to lose the car pan before you cook the oil/motor. Cool looking boat.
    Just my .02
    Brian

Jungle Boy
    Shitty deal for you. Hope you can get her all fixed up and back in the water soon. Looks good. But like Brian says, the oil pan should be bigger and designed for a boat, or that may be the next problem.

MikeF
    That style hull looks good! A crack is where the water is getting into the boat (not the seal between the pump and the hull)?
    If you do get a jet boat oil pan you "do not" need to fill it to the quart size the pan will hold. I have a 14q pan yet only use 8+filter (9 quarts). Place it on the ground at the angle that it sits in the boat (level hull) and fill (water in quart bottle) until you are happy w/ the level. When the boat is in the water all the oil is toward the back of the pan and now in the crank (aerating the oil). Kinda want to keep that to a minimum.
    Hope the hull can be fixed w/ little work.

Sleek-Jet
    What I like most is the big ass hammer in the back of the boat

JetBoatRich
    You need those hammers for minor adjustments
    To bad about the hull, hopefully you can get it repaired quickly and back on the water.

Hallett19
    Are you reglassing the bottom ? I had the same problem, a 4 ft crack on the drivers side, almost sank my boat, it happened on a trip up to sandbar, not a short trip from the dock at site 6!!! That is almost a 7 min boat ride wide open. Its an aweful feeling watching your pride and joy sink But its a pretty easy fix. I had Havasu Barney do mine, came out awesome ! The glass he used can barely be drilled through, I feel very comfortable when I hit some hard wakes now.

Taylor LP
    Sorry to hear about your hull damage, hope you can get it fixed and back out soon.
    Now an off topic question.
    Does everyone in Cali have their washer & dryer in the garage?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I feel your pain bro! I have a 12 inch hail line crack in my hull as well. You need to glass it from the inside(Make sure you grind all the paint away from it,then grind a "v" in the crack). How big is the crack? You might wanna ask barney about repairs.

1Bahnerjet
    Does everyone in Cali have their washer & dryer in the garage?
    ----------------------------------
    You can keep them somewhere else?
    ----------------------------------
    Thats BANNER with an H

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast