Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Coat (Powder Coat) at home

mcshriver
    Has anyone out there tried the Eastwood Co. Hot Coat system of powder coating ? Does it last in a marine enviroment ? I've been using it for the last two years above the water line on deck hardware, But have recently coated my Place Diverter and Pump bowl and was curious if you guys had any input.

Bow Tie Omega
    My brother and I have been wondering the same thing. That would look sweet. If you do not mind me asking, how much was the Eastwood system, and what exactly is involved? Thanks...Joe
    PS...Good question, you get 5 stars
    [ January 14, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

sidewound
    Good Post,
    I can remember years ago you gould buy the stuff to do it at home and use an old oven to cure the finish. I'd like to know more. Where can I getsum? I'm bettin the technology has come a long ways since I saw it done. I think it was in the late 70's or maybe 80's. You know,the memories of those years aren't as vivid as they once were. Peace Man

Jbb
    This link will take you to harbor freights system I have one and I like a gravity fed cup better than eastwoods suction feed cup .The price on the net says $99 But the latest catalog has it for $59...hard to beat!
    Harbor Freight

miller19j
    JETBOAT BRIAN:
    This link will take you to harbor freights system I have one and I like a gravity fed cup better than eastwoods suction feed cup .The price on the net says $99 But the latest catalog has it for $59...hard to beat!
    Harbor Freight I saw that in the sale catalog and thought about buying it. I have a few questions for you. Where do you buy your powder? And where do you bake your parts, and how long at what temp?

Jbb
    I have access to a big oven at work,but most people use an old kitchen oven ...just limits the size of the piece you can do. 400 degrees for 20 min does it.
    Eastwood also has a light curing system for it that works as well.You aim the light at different areas until cured ..
    If you go to harbor freight on line and type powder in their search box,they have accessories and an oven also.
    Eastwood has the largest powder selection but they are pricey You can search the net for bulk discounts on colors but usually there is a minimum order of pounds...

flat broke
    We've used the Harbor frieght setup for a while. If you're going to do a lot of work, you might want to upgrade to Eastwood's deluxe setup as the gun is nicer and a littler sturdier. But all in all, you can't beat the price for the system. Bear in mind you're going to have to shell out another 100 for a used ELECTRIC oven dedicated soley to the powdercoating. You can order powders online from a variety of places, but honeslty for the small batches (1/2-1 lb) you're probably just best going through eastwood.
    As far as durability in a marine environment the setup can work quite well. I did my pump, droop, diverter, and tons of other small custom made parts with great results. All of those parts fit in the oven easily. I then did some swimsteps we milled out and those didn't fair so well. The reason being is that our oven was too small and we fashioned an extension for it to allow the steps to bake. After running them, it was obvious that the side of the step in the extension didn't flow out properly or bake long enough and started to crack and peel. So when you're shopping for your oven, buy the biggest one you can get your hands on. Other than that, so long as the part is clean, well prepped, and propperly pre cooked if cast, the system works great. Just remember that when you're spraying the shit gets everywhere, and the fumes from the baking/curing are BAD for you.
    Chris

mcshriver
    I've never tried the Harbor Freight system, Is it still electrostatic?, IMO the suction system of the Eastwood system is better because if you are mixing colors of adding a prism effect additive, they offer a fluidizing attachment that keps the powder mixed and fluid inside the cup. The Eastwood system is on sale right now www.eastwoodcompany.com $150.00ish. get the Deluxe gun, or PRO if you hate your money. Smooth clean metal is the whole key, the translucent and anodize like colors look awesome, I'm having some trouble getting good results from the ALMOST chrome color though, due to it having to be clear coated (apparently it tarnishes if left un-cleared) The key seems to be as light of a base coat as posible to get coverage, be sure to bake fully and then some, and also not to over cure (time or temp) the clear coat, whew! BUT ALL IN ALL I LOVE THE TECHNIQUE, IT'S FAST, FLEXIBLE AND DURABLE But prep is everything and sometimes you have to strip it off and try again, GOOD LUCK.
    Any tips you have to share mcshriver@aol.com
    Doug

DansBlown73Nordic
    So another words pick-up a old electric oven and build a shed out back to do your baking. Can it be a Gas oven? eek! Or will there be a Big Bang?? jawdrop

mcshriver
    The fumes aren't THAT bad to build a separate bulding (but I would not do it in my kitchen either), but if your doing a big part it does smoke alot as it finishes curing. They don't recomend a gas oven because in enough quantity the powder is flammable and if suspended in air (in large enough amount) POSSIBLY explosive, not to mention that the fumes from a gas oven could contaminate the coating causing other bad effects, USE ELECTRIC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast