Thread: Water routing

seho
    Noob question here.....about to finish my first jet (Glastron, 455, berkeley, 19ft.) and noticed that the original water line from the jet pump split and went into the aftermarket water pump cover (I think this engine orignally had an automotive type water pump) and out of the water divider on the intake manifold to the exhaust manifolds. On searching for pics of other's engines I see a lot that seem to be just the opposite...water in to the intake manifold and out of the block going to the exhaust. Which is correct?
    Thanks
    Randy

Blown 472
    It did not come with a water pump on a boat, the water goes into the block first, fills the block flows from back to front via the heads, out the water neck and into the exhaust.

If you have thru-transom exaust it goes like this.
    ..pump to the tee.
    ..tee to one of the ports on the front of your exaust man.
    ..other port on the front of the exaust man to your w/p plate.
    ..out of the water outlet (T-stat) housing to the rear port on your exaust at the riser.
    This way you water is also preheated by the exaust manifolds so you can a more constant temp. Hope that helps.
    Chris

seho
    Appreciate the responses Fry and Blown....I got the boat as a basket case with the intake manifold missing and it did have a automotive type water pump on it. The large 'radiator' hose came out the bottom and curved upwards as if it attached to the intake....thats all removed now for the plate. It had two smaller pipe fittings one of which was capped and the other I have no idea where it went. As far as the routing thru the exhaust to pre-heat the water, I have the Berkeley thru hull exhaust which only has one fitting on the front of each thats cast into the exhaust.
    Im just going to route it (tee fitting) into the block and out of the housing into the exhausts and see how that works.
    1973 Glastron/ Carlson CV-19SS

flat broke
    look cooling diagrams here.
    Thanks,
    Chris

sidewound
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114logs.jpg[/img]

seho
    Appreciate the help.