Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tunnel ram starting problems

jwbbuck
    I just finished putting together a tunnel ram on a fairly mild BBC. Everything is new (MSD, carbs, plugs, wires...) and it won't start. I've checked the firing order / wires...but it fires more often out of the carb than in the hole where it belongs. I knew the tunnel ram would be hard to start, but not this bad. I'm regretting my intake choice. Any suggestions?
    JB

coolchange
    18436572 Go back to basics. Find tdc. sounds like your 180 out. On cold mornings I used to start my TR motor with the scoop cover on for a choke.

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by jwbbuck:
    I just finished putting together a tunnel ram on a fairly mild BBC. Everything is new (MSD, carbs, plugs, wires...) and it won't start. I've checked the firing order / wires...but it fires more often out of the carb than in the hole where it belongs. I knew the tunnel ram would be hard to start, but not this bad. I'm regretting my intake choice. Any suggestions?
    JB
    I run a tunnel ram 468 w/660 center squirters, and it fires first time...everytime! Cold or Hot!
    When my battery was low, I had a hard time sparking the fuel. I run an all-out-Mallory ignition COMP 9000 and Hy-fire set-up. So when the battery was the least bit low, it would not start, at all!!!! My starter still turned over, but it just wouldn't build up the charge in the control box to fire....Look into this please!

squirts
    Im gonna say its either your dist. is 180 off or your plug wires are incorrect. Try starting there and as far as the tunnel ram I pump about three shots from the gas pedal before firing it over

Cheyenne19
    What MSD setup are you running? My wires were wired wrong comming out of my 6A box and we were wiring + from the dist. to - on the box. It would run a little and then it would fire back through the carbs. I have a tunnel and 2 660's, dont regret your choice mine fire every time now.
    c19

69 Elim
    90% of the time the problem is electrical - go back and check your ignition (180 off?)

diggler
    Originally posted by jwbbuck:
    JB
    Had the same problem with mine not starting a month ago when I put the engine back in. I removed the #1 sparkplug and stuck a long, long screwdriver in it. I hand cranked the block until the screwdriver was pushed all the way out. I then looked at where the rotor was positioned and called that the #1 spot on the distributor.
    Then I put the cap back on, and put the wires on in the firing order. (Remember this is counter clockwise order on the distributor if you have an Olds 455)

LVjetboy
    jwbbuck, the flow in this thread rings true.
    Spark, air and fuel are King, number of carbs or T/R not so important. I have a T/R and had problems with a cold start first time out. When warm no problem. Upgraded my coil and presto! The engine starts quick cold or hot. No choke needed.
    Although your specific problem may differ, and other posting have good suggestions, I'm just saying...don't be too quick to blame it on the T/R. Because I know from my own experience that T/R's can start quick.
    jer

Cheyenne19
    jwbbuck,
    have you tried any of these? just wondering if the tips helped.

jwbbuck
    Cheyenne19,
    I was 180 degrees out. I forgot that I rolled the motor over when I adjusted the valves. And, I was wrong about the tunnel rams being "hard starters." With a full MSD ignition, it fires right up.
    Thanks, Buck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast