Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Cruz

RH
    First time out in my new to me Spectra 18 460/JE ran great here are a few questions .
    1. Cruised at 3500 rpm went fast 4000 to 5000 where I let off what is the danger zone [red line] with this combo ?
    2. Alot of weeds in the lake had to stop alot to clean them out is there a different grate that would keep weeds out?
    3. Engine temp. was at 110 where should it be for best performance ?
    4. Other than shooting a big roost how do I use the place diverter ?
    5. What is the best thing to use to get the lake scum off the white hull [tried 409 , alcohol]
    Had a great time with my first jet ! Thanks Randy

OmegaBitch2
    RH, 1- what is your combo? stock mill, impeller cut...etc.2-weeds ,well you got me on that ,dont usually have a problem with those up here!3-engine temp should be minimum 160,with 180-190 prefered.4-if you have a gps use it ,they help quite a bit, so does the tach.do you have a trim gauge?speeds up return to the sweet spot,this again depends on boat weight(empty/full)(passengers..etc.5-I find spray 9 works the best for me.Anyways Im sure that there are some various other ideas out there,but gives you a place to start!! Roosters away!!!

skeepwerkzaz
    RH welcome to Jet life. Congrats on the new boat, you will have a lot of fun. It is really hard to jet jets to reach operating temp since you are cooling with cold lake water, but fiddling with thermostats does help. Weeds are a bitch, try to steer clear. The place diverter is a learned trait, the GPS idea is a good one, if you would like I could go out with you sometime with mine and we will find the sweet spot. There is some stuff called gel coat restorer that works awesome on hulls to clean them, I have had very good luck with it, and is available at most automotive paint stores. I have been jet boating since I was a little squirt and might be able to give you some insight if you wish, I am in Sonoma right now and would be happy to help out. The most important thing is to HAVE FUN. Good luck.

RH
    The boat is a Spectra 18 2050lb. dry plus maybe 600lb. people , gas etc. total say 2700lb. 460 Ford rebuilt with about 200hr don't know if it is stock, the receipts I've got with it show the following
    460 comp., rv cam 22915 ,edelbrock manifold 2166 ,accel distributor , edelbrock carb. unknown size . Berkeley 12je rebuilt parts plus super stock blueprint , impeller cut to comp-a dia that's about all I know hope this helps thanks Randy p.s. carb is a 750 cfm edelbrock on a performer manifold
    [ August 06, 2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: RH ]

RH
    Any input on my weed problem ? Can I make a screen to go over the grate with out screwing up the flow . Thanks Randy

HBjet
    OmegaBitch2:
    3-engine temp should be minimum 160,with 180-190 preferedI have to disagree with this. I recommend your engine temp to be between 140-160. If you keep it between there you won't run into any problems and have good performance.
    HBjet

OmegaBitch2
    Colder engine temperatures increase engine wear.There is a certain temp range that engines are designed to run at.Horsepower equates to heat,the more heat you can hold in a cylinder the more power you produce.Talk to some knowledgeable engine builders.You just dont want things so hot that detonation sets in.Accelerated cylinder wall wear occurs at colder operating temps,...check it out.Thats why all the new stuff runs thermostats. I wont even get on it in my boat till Im up to 160.

While marine engines will run fine in the 140-160 degree range, its really not optimum for a number of reasons. 180-190 is ideal. It does a number of positive things. It gets the oil temp up around 210-220 where it should be to lubricate properly. This in turn burns off unwanted internal engine water condensation which is very common in cold water source cooling systems (and not good for engine parts). It creates ideal combustion temperature for good power yet is not hot enough to cause unwanted detonation. A "properly plumbed" lake water source system will not have any problems at 180-190 degrees. Water does not boil at that temperature so no steam pockets are possible (again if it's plumbed properly). Usually if a boat has a cooling problem of some kind at 190, its a water routing or supply problem, not one of too much temperature.
    Not trying to argue anyone's posts here, just passing on what we've learned building engines, racing many types of boats, and manufacturing cooling system parts for many years. Hope it helps.

RH
    Would a thermostat kit take care of the temp. issue ? Someone told me I should have two gate valves in the system also one intake and one the exit they could not tell me why but said it is pretty common . I don't have a stat now did boats from the 70's not have them ? If low temps are a problem why were they built without them ?
    skeepwerkzaz Thanks for the offer I'll keep that in mind. Thanks to all Randy

Yes thermostats work very well on jet aps. Take a look at our website. We've sold litterally hundreds if not thousands of the 160100 model for boats similar to yours. The gate valve method is a little sketchy on the intake. You can get the temp set right for say top end, then it's too cold running slow, get it right running slow, then it overheats when you hammer it. Then there's alway the worry someone will move it or it will move by itself and fry the motor. Thermo kit is much better solution. Why the older boats didn't have them is an excellent question that I don't have the answer for. I guess no one knew any better or just didn't give a crap back then. Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast