Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new to jet boats ???

apollo74
    hi guys. i have a 18' apollo jet with 455 olds and berk JC with "A" impeller all oem pac-jet. runs 4900 rpm at 58 mph. just installed a top loader grate and manual place diverter, but haven't run yet due to weather here in MI. i'm thinking of upgrading engine with intake change( performer or torker??) and cam change(any suggestions?), also have some aluminum nicson logs(any better than cast iron stockers?). i have already converted ignition to electronic with petronix and msd and have timing at 35 total all in at 3000 rpm. would these changes get me into the 70's? what are the thoughts on rudder with the place diverter, any loss of mph?? any other ideas from the experts? would a "AA" impeller be better? also need new speedo, any body make a good one? whats the best gps to get for the least amount of $$ ? thanks for any help, i've been reading alot for a month or so, great board!!

hack job
    Originally posted by apollo74:
    hi guys. i have a 18' apollo jet with 455 olds and berk JC with "A" impeller all oem pac-jet. runs 4900 rpm at 58 mph. just installed a top loader grate and manual place diverter, but haven't run yet due to weather here in MI. i'm thinking of upgrading engine with intake change( performer or torker??) and cam change(any suggestions?), also have some aluminum nicson logs(any better than cast iron stockers?). i have already converted ignition to electronic with petronix and msd and have timing at 35 total all in at 3000 rpm. would these changes get me into the 70's? what are the thoughts on rudder with the place diverter, any loss of mph?? any other ideas from the experts? would a "AA" impeller be better? also need new speedo, any body make a good one? whats the best gps to get for the least amount of $$ ? thanks for any help, i've been reading alot for a month or so, great board!!
    so many ? well i wouldnt run the troker manifold they are crap if your going to run that kind it least get the performer rpm its bettr and broder power range, most speedo are inacurate . so dont go there spend your money on a gps the small hand held ones are aobut 100 bucks at best buy or something like that.i really dont know that changeing the intake would get you up there maybe 65 with the place and the intake but wouldnt hold my breath ! good luck and watch out for that 455 the parts are getting hard to find.
    see you on the water!
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)
    oh and welcome to the board!
    [This message has been edited by hack job (edited May 16, 2002).]

apollo74
    thanks hack job-trying to keep stock internals-excellent compression and oil pressure` with loader, diverter, new intake, new cam, and logs instead of oem cast manifolds would i lose top end going to "AA" impeller?

hack job
    well thats good to hear , as fro the aa impellor you might drop some rpm and keep the same speed or a little faster, if the motor has the balls to pull it. its tough to guess if you dont have the torque cruve and what not. or a dyno sheet. but sounds like you got a plan and thats great thing a lot of people just throw cash in to there boats and have no plan. ( up untill like three weeks ago i was that way http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif )
    what kind of cam are you going to run? i wouldmake sure it will work with your stock vavle train ( lift and what not). good luck and get a gps on ebay they are pretty cheep!
    oh one more thing what type of oem manifolds are you talking about. if they are the mercrusier i would think that they would be better than the logs. my logic is that the exhuast exits are larger on the mercrusier ones!
    email me a pic and ill let you know what i think or post a pic.
    [This message has been edited by hack job (edited May 17, 2002).]

apollo74
    Originally posted by hack job:
    well thats good to hear , as fro the aa impellor you might drop some rpm and keep the same speed or a little faster, if the motor has the balls to pull it. its tough to guess if you dont have the torque cruve and what not. or a dyno sheet. but sounds like you got a plan and thats great thing a lot of people just throw cash in to there boats and have no plan. ( up untill like three weeks ago i was that way http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif )
    what kind of cam are you going to run? i wouldmake sure it will work with your stock vavle train ( lift and what not). good luck and get a gps on ebay they are pretty cheep!
    oh one more thing what type of oem manifolds are you talking about. if they are the mercrusier i would think that they would be better than the logs. my logic is that the exhuast exits are larger on the mercrusier ones!
    email me a pic and ill let you know what i think or post a pic.
    [This message has been edited by hack job (edited May 17, 2002).]
    the cam i plan to run is either a mondello jm 22-25-10 (duration is 230@.050 and lift is .512) or the olds w-30 cam(duration is 244@.050 and lift is .474) both 110 lobe seperation. i'll upgrade lifters pushrods and rockers and increase oil capacity with new oil pan. the exhaust is cast iron square not sure who made them, but the weight savings alone may justify going to the logs. i'll email you a pic of them this weekend as well as post more accurate speed as i got a gps today. thanks, hack job for your help.
    [This message has been edited by apollo74 (edited May 17, 2002).]

Tbolt
    you might want to try an airgap from edelbrock and dont waste the money on a AA until you know how it responds with your new mods. do you have a deep oil pan? if not find one or fabricate one out of the old pan the more oil the better. stock pan 5qrts. 1 in the heads 1 in the valley 1 in the filter 1 in the engine(bearings,cam, lifters) it's self that leaves 1 in the pan. NOT GOOD!! the more oil in reserve the better cornering hole shots you know. good luck

squirt
    I'm not an Olds guy but have read enough post to know that the Olds has some oilling problems. They are a good motor for your boat but they do retain alot of oil above the heads. If you have a stock pan and don't plan on doing the mods, oil restrictors, restricted push rods and head to pan oil return lines , just keep an eye out on the pressure gauge and if it drops, back out of it. During Long cruising above 3500 rpm your motor will have a tendency to pump your pan dry and leave the oil up in the heads. All that being said there are a ton of 455's in jets living a happy life and ripping up the water! Have Fun! ROOSTERS AWAY

TE081
    dont rule out a b impeller! Originally posted by apollo74:
    [This message has been edited by TE081 (edited May 17, 2002).]

apollo74
    Originally posted by squirt:
    I'm not an Olds guy but have read enough post to know that the Olds has some oilling problems. They are a good motor for your boat but they do retain alot of oil above the heads. If you have a stock pan and don't plan on doing the mods, oil restrictors, restricted push rods and head to pan oil return lines , just keep an eye out on the pressure gauge and if it drops, back out of it. During Long cruising above 3500 rpm your motor will have a tendency to pump your pan dry and leave the oil up in the heads. All that being said there are a ton of 455's in jets living a happy life and ripping up the water! Have Fun! ROOSTERS AWAY
    definately planning on increasing the size of oil pan and adding the restricted pushrods, however i don't agree with restricting oil to the bearings as that is like treating the symptom instead of the sickness. from what i have researched is the olds likes to pump alot of oil to the heads and its slow to return, so restricting the flow to the heads via the pushrods makes sense, but the other restrictors became popular before the pushrods where available. so far in 100% stock setup the oil pressure has not waivered below 50 psi during extended 3500 rpm cruising or 30-60 sec blasts at 5000 rpm, but better safe than sorry. i'm also running mobil 1 and suspect that by its nature may drain back a little quicker. i'm hoping i end up with enough power to run the AA because i'd love to keep the rpm's as low as possible. i'll get some new data with the gps and the loader and diverter upgrade and keep you guys posted. thanks for all your help! damn this is alot of FUN!!!

apollo74
    Originally posted by Tbolt:
    you might want to try an airgap from edelbrock and dont waste the money on a AA until you know how it responds with your new mods. do you have a deep oil pan? if not find one or fabricate one out of the old pan the more oil the better. stock pan 5qrts. 1 in the heads 1 in the valley 1 in the filter 1 in the engine(bearings,cam, lifters) it's self that leaves 1 in the pan. NOT GOOD!! the more oil in reserve the better cornering hole shots you know. good luck
    wasn't aware that they made an air gap for the olds, but got a good deal on a performer from one of the guys on the board here as well as larger pan and some valve covers. got a " out of the box, lost the instructions deal on a new Garmin gps for $60 at best today, so pretty happy with that-came home and downloaded a manual off Garmin's website for free and we are in like flynn-yipee! thanks for the tip-we are going to have to watch it until i can pull the motor to install the pan. how many HP to turn a AA 4500 to 4900 rpm? if my setup ends up turning the A i've got over 5000 and the punp is tight, then would i want to go to a AA?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast