Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GOT RUDDER?

novaguy
    Just wondering what you guys thought about having a rudder. When I installed my Place Diverter, I did not install a rudder. I don't know what the difference would be if I had one because I added the Place Diverter as soon as I purchased my boat. My main concern is cruising through the channel at low speed in Havasu and docking. I am all over the place right now, while cruising at low speeds. I am getting a lot better in my docking skills. I called Jack at MPD (he did my jet) and he said the rudder would help me a lot while cruising at low speeds but do nothing for docking. I was just wondering what your guys experience was with having or not having a rudder.
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Read...ats/1boat1.JPG

ultimate1
    I have to agree with Jack it helps at low to high speeds and dosen't do anything at slow speeds. p.s. nice ride

Moomawnster
    Once you get used to it you will be able to spin that sucker in place ! I have not had a rudder for years and can still out steer "most" boaters , but then "most boaters" don't load the boat till they get on the ramp or check to be sure it will start ! I leave them in the rooster! Skill is it's own reward ......

1HOTGMCJET
    I may be the exception, but I LIKE having the rudder - not only helps for the reasons mentioned, but the boat just feels more "stuck" when handling and turning at ALL speeds - had one on my JE pump stock, and am putting on the large Place rudder with my diverter - may cost a TINY amount of speed, but I just like the "hooked" feeling...again, I may be the exception....Good Luck! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hotcrusader76
    Well....I have to agree that you don't need that "rudder"....leave it for the V-drives....but on the other hand your boat is a larger type than most "jets". So it will take more skill to move that sled around compared to a smaller boat...like 18' or so. Give it some time...practice....and then you'll be a better driver than most out there! Learn your boat, how it handles, and know your throttle response cues.
    Take it from me, I used to drive an 82' Navy Mark V Twin Jet drive...with a joy stick...5000HP. No bull shit either!...Just keep practicing!
    BTW! Nice boat! How much HP so far?

novaguy
    Thanks for the response guys. HotCrusader, you are right, my boat is kind of bigger than most jets. As a matter of fact everyone always questions me as to how big it is. It is only 21', but it is a deep vee hull. unfortunately, It only has a stock (330HP) 454 Chevy. In the future, I plan on having Dave at DNE build me a motor. That guy is awesome with motors. He tuned mine up when I added an MSD ignition and Sea Demon Carb. The boat is truly turn key. I wish I knew how fast it goes, I would guess 55-60 tops. I spin 4400RPM at WOT with an "A" impellar.

mud duck
    I purchased a rudder, used it for about a month, and then removed it. I've gotten so I like the slide you get at high speed when you crank the wheel. Also, my trailer is so low that I was scraping it everywhere driving around town.
    At slow speed you just have to be careful not to over steer. That is a easy mistake to get in to. Just be patient and boat will come around.

GOT WATER ??
    73 Spectra 20, 3000 lbs, no rudder, berk jc A impeller, 455 olds, 4400rpm, Place diverter, 50 mph gps.
    [This message has been edited by GOT WATER ?? (edited June 02, 2002).]

apollo74
    i really like the rudder. i have run mine both ways and did the same thing when i put on the place diverter-left the rudder off.gps'd it and then installed the rudder and gps'd again, no change in speed and rpm.
    given that and the improved low speed and no throttle steering is worth having it. the steering at all speeds is more responsive. i won't take it off again. just my .02

Hallett19
    I like the rudder too, I find myself turning the wheel left to right just to keep it going straight w/o the rudder just to keep it straight.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast