Thread: Diagnosis please....

DickDanger
    Need some opinions here. My 454 BBC had a bit of a hiccup last week, and I am not quite sure if it is the starter or the solenoid. When the key is turned, there is one "click" and the starter does nothing. After a couple of minutes of this nonsense, it finally kicks over, and fires up. And I dont seem to have any problems for the rest of the day. What does everyone think? Starter, or solenoid problem??? -DD Out

voodooCanoe
    Starter! If you hear the click, thats the solenoid trying to engage the starter!

Wet Dream
    Check all of your terminals. Corroded battery terminals can cause that. The click might me arcing. The other thing you might want to check it the wire that runs from the key to the terminal block and from the terminal block to the starter. I had enough corrosion on mine that it created a starting problem last year. It acted like a dead battery, but a couple of bigger batteries later, I still didn't fix it. It was that wire. Check it out.

DickDanger
    Thanks for the advice. I will check the wire, but the batteries are both new Optimas, all of the battery cables were changed this winter, and the terminals are all new as well. I am thinking that since there is so much torque on the motor, that it is the starter. I will still check the wiring just to eliminate that. -DD Out

HammerDown
    Also somethng to look at is the contacts in the ign. switch...I had a similar issue where every so often the motor seemed like it was water locked when I tryed to start it...I replaced all the Battery Cables and had the started tested, same thing...then bingo...I took apart the key switch and it was kinda nasty...cleaned it up the brass contacts with Scotch Brite and it's perfect now.

sidewound
    I've had this trouble with chevy starters before.My problem was the nose bushing being worn. Once the motor was started and warmed up the problem would go away. The worn bushing would change the gear mesh so it was harder for the starter to turn. You can burn one up like this too. It's easy enough to check and to fix. If the starters new this probably isn't the problem. Just a thought. Hope it helps.
    Peace Man
    CESAR
    [ May 18, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: sidewound ]

Jetty 468
    DD I'm going to bring up my post ( Trick With Starter) for you and I bought the hot shot and it has stop my problem ,it would click like you spoke of , bought it from Jegs with overnight shipping and only cost $30.00 hope this help's
    Jetty

spectras only
    DD, the problems with starters are relentless ,especially in boats with high humidity lingering about.The solenoid plunger can get rusty while sitting and cause enough friction not to be able to pull the bendix right away { I think the plungers should be teflon coated for boat starters IMHO wink ] The bendix clutch can be even more rusty on the shaft being closer to the flywheel.I pretty much exchanging starters every 2-3 years.Top mounts are the best solution.

DickDanger
    So, if this IS the problem, can someone recommend a good starter for a BBC? $$$ is not a big issue, but quality is. I have a feeling that mine has been around for a while as it is. I dont know when it was new, but I am guessing in the early 90's. Thanks again!!! -DD Out

Hal
    Most likely the contacts in the solenoid are bad.
    Check this out... I bought one that was on ebay,
    They were located in Anahiem and I just went down and picked it up. It was $115.00 You can do a search in ebay motors. Use 454 Chevy for your search.
    mini starters
    [ May 18, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]