Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Performer vs. Torker II

DickDanger
    Its getting down to crunch time for me to bust out a new manifold. I am needing to hear some opinions on the Edelbrock Performer vs. the Torker II (what I have now). My boat is currently turning 5100 rpm, but I would like a bit more top end out of it. I am assuming that the Torker provides more punch out of the hole. Any info would be appreciated. -DD Out

malcolm
    what I remember from the Edelbrock catalog is the regular performer is a dual plane intake for off idle to 5500 RPM use. The Torker is an open plane manifold for 2500 to 6500 rpm use. There is also the performer RPM that is good for 1500 to 6500.
    [ August 06, 2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: malcolm ]

beached1
    That Torker will make a nice anchor. I lost a little power when I went from Performer 20 to a Torker II. So I went with a RPM air gap dual plane. Good bottom and on top for me. I'm sure it depends on you setup as well. So results may vary. I'm running a BBC 427 Large oval port heads Demon 750 dp. Good luck!
    BTW, I like your avatar. Whenver I'm working in San D, I like to get abused and eat a sandwich at Dicks.
    "Excuse me but can I get...
    Shut up and wait you turn pal!
    "uh oh OK."

As long as you're looking at both single plane and dual plane, you may want to look into a
    Edelbrock Victor Junior (single) and the Weiand Stealth (dual plane). Either one of these would be a good choice. What motor do ya have? You may find this interesting, I sure did. I changed my manifold from an Ebrock Torker I to the Weiand Stealth and got absolutely no gains whatsoever. It seems that the cam and intake sorta have a relationship and need to be matched up to get the benegits. You see lots of kits that include the cam, intake, lifters etc all in a package deal. I guess that's why they do it that way. I've since rebuilt the motor and I think that my choice has worked out well with a bigger cam, Ebrock alum heads, higher compression etc. I went with the Weiand but sometimes wonder how the Victor Junior would've worked out. Good luck with your project.

flat broke
    Dick,
    Im about to pull the Weiand Team G off of my boat to try the old Stealth that was on it last season with the new cam. I'll have numbers thursday and can let you know what I find. The Team G is similar to the Victor except that Weiand claims it pulls down a little lower.
    For comparison purposes, I'm running a 9:1 468, Rectangle port heads, 292 duration 570 lift on a 108 lobe center and Stainless Marine 4" exhaust.
    The main reason I'm going to try the swap is because I feel that at my HP level and airflow, the single plane manifold could be cheating me of torque in the midrange which is causing the motor to run flat into the upper RPM ranges. Hopefully, If I'm right the dual plane Stealth will help build more midrange torque to carry the motor past the HP absorbtion of the MPD detailed A impeller. It's all theory, but I'll have more info on Thursday after I get back from the lake. I would guess that if I was running headers, I might have slightly better results with the Team G than the Stealth... Only time will tell.
    Chris

waterslinger
    I think the stealth is the best for a low RPM
    jet. The stealth is good to 6500 rpm. If you have
    a chevy I would give the RPM air gap a try.

DickDanger
    Okay, here are some numbers. BBC 454, 9.5:1 compression, single dp carb, cam is one step below a full racing cam, oval port, TRD flat top pistons. Since I am a newbie at intakes, what is the difference between "dual plane" and "single plane?" Like I stated before, tach tops out at 5100 rpm. Thanks guys...-DD Out

flat broke
    Dick,
    The difference between dual plane and single plane manifolds is pretty straight forward. Using a BBC and a Victor as an example, when you look at either side of the motor, you will notice that there are two intake ports up front and two intake ports in back. looking at the Victor you can see that the rear port of the front two, and the front port of the rear tow (i.e. cyls 4 and 6) have a shorter path to the plenum of the manifold. This is because all of the runners are on the same plane, hence "single plane". The drawback is that there are differences in runner length from cylinder to cylinder. The upside is that it is typically a pretty straight shot from the plenum to the intake ports, resulting better airflow potential. This is why the manifolds will pull more power out of motors that can spin more rpm (breathe more air).
    A dual plane manifold attempts to equalize the runner length between cylinders by elongating the distance between the plenum and those same #4 and #6 cylinders by dropping those runners down below the runners for 2 and 8. Thus the runners for 4 and 6 are on a different plane, hence "dual plane". These manifolds typically (there are increasing amounts of exceptions) have slightly smaller I.D. runners of close to equal length. However, the runners are typically longer and more curvacious than that of a single plane manifold. The added curves inpede flow and start to become a limiting factor at higher rpm/airflow requirements. Because the maximum aiflow velocity of most dual plane manifolds is lower than that of a single plane, they are better suited towards low/mid range RPM use. As stated earlier, manufactures keep advancing the runner design of the dual plane manifolds to the point where they are supporting higher and higher RPM levels. I haven't run one, but the Edelbrock Air Gap is supposed to be a pretty nice setup (though I think Edelbrock thinks a little too highly of their products of late based on price). Hopefully my explanation makes some sort of sense. I'm sure there are others on the boards which could go into the details of airflow velocity and volume differences, but I think I got the main gist of it accross.
    Chris

beached1
    Flat Broke makes a good ponit. I would contact the cam builder and ask them what would be best for your setup.
    A dual plane basically is a two level manifold. One side dumps in from the carb up high and the other dumps from down low. A single is just strait through.

On the single plane/dual plane thing. If you look inside the intake where the carb sits, and you see a divider running front to rear separating the two sides it's a dual plane. No divider, it's a single plane. Just like the guys are saying.... the dual plane focuses more on lower rpm to midrange rpm power and the single, on mid to upper. Problem is.....we're somewhat limited by our pumps/impellers as to what rpm we can run at. In most cases we're unable to reach the rpm range where the singleplane really shines, unless you're running a B or C impeller. Right now my boat is running 5200 rpm @ 70 mph, more than likely too low an rpm range for the single plane to come into it's own. That's why I'd like to try the Victor single plane, basically to see if the theory plays out in the real world. Anyway, this is the way I understand it. These guys know more about motors n such than I do. I'm just trying to learn what I can from others, by reading everything I can get my hands on, and through experimentation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast