Thread: Salt water?

core attitude
    We run our I/O in the salt just about every week. What's the deal with running a jet in the salt? I really just want to do a little tuning and don't want to go all the way to Elsinore to do it when I'm only 20 minutes from the marina. Does anyone have any experience with this and is a forced pressure flush of the pump with a hose enough to get it clean?
    Thanks, Pete

lakesmodified
    core attitude:
    We run our I/O in the salt just about every week. What's the deal with running a jet in the salt? I really just want to do a little tuning and don't want to go all the way to Elsinore to do it when I'm only 20 minutes from the marina. Does anyone have any experience with this and is a forced pressure flush of the pump with a hose enough to get it clean?
    Thanks, PeteATTITUDE, Though I've never run my jet boat in the salt, I started running my two ski's in the salt a couple of years ago. I never flush them out with a hose though. On my way home from the ocean, I stop at a local lake and run them around for about ten minutes. I do realize that you don't have this option. To answer your question, the hose wouldn't flush out the pump enough. You could just about clean out the engine of salt water with a hose, but unless you submerge that pump into a lake, there will be salt deposits left behind. And aluminum doesn't take too kindly to salt. Ivan

core attitude
    I was thinking the same thing as far a residual deposits in the pump. I guess I'll just have to take a day off work and run to the lake.
    Pete

Mike J.
    I have run Jet Boats in salt water for years with no real problems,
    I do run a hose after every run, I run
    about 140 Motor temp. So I don't get a
    lot of salt buildup, One tip though,
    Check the inlets from the exhaust to the
    Motor (Where water pump Mounted) sometimes this will get salt buildup and
    close off water flow.
    Mike J.

core attitude
    Thanks Mike J., I'll keep that in mind if I can't hold off for fresh water.
    Pete

77charger
    I use to live 10 min fro mdana point i used to take my jet there one summer since it was close never a prob(boat sits about 4 inches high in the rear too)Did flush out real well afterwards and really hose the pump out good too.I even went to newport harbor once to do some barhopping after a 60 mph pass at 2:15 am and open bassets havent been back.(NO i didnt get in trouble)luckily.

core attitude
    I guess you're luckier then Dennis Rodman.

Mandelon
    I used to have an earmuff style flushout for my old Outboard. Has anyone ever seen flush out for a Jet intake? It would need to be like a giant rubber plunger with a hose inlet. But would just idling it work well enough to flush out the system? And then what about the headers?

beached1
    Never ran a Jet Boat in salt but Saltaway works good for flushing out PWCs.