Thread: Automotive Paint

USMC1812
    What do you guys think about repainting a boat using automotive paint. I am try to save a little cash and have be told that this might be a way to do it? What are the Pro's and Con's? I want something that is going to last at least 5 years and still look good. Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Doug

76sanger
    same here!!!

GlastronGuy
    From what I learned, it depends on where you keep the boat. I was told to not leave the boat in the water for more than a few weeks with automotive paint on it.
    We ended up using Detco but it is more expensive than auto paint.

JESSE
    This boat was done with auto paint.by lakes modified brother in law and looks better in person then in this picture. [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Harlem1.JPG[/img]never mind the trailer it is being fixed. if you are looking for someone to paint your boat the guy is cool as hell and you can't beat the price.
    [ January 18, 2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: JESSE ]

ChetCapoli
    A good single stage urathane like PPG concept is a great choice over a urathane primer like PPG K-36(high build). Expensive but worth it.
    CHET

jetaddict
    Hey Jesse did the painter ever get paid his last $100.00 for that job???

tbisme
    I've painted many boats with auto paint, just dont leave them in the water for the whole summer .I think it will hold the color longer than gel , red for sure . make sure you buy good product ,because you hope to do it just once . materalis cheap compared to time/labor.... hope it turns out slick dude.

I know of several friends who have used the top of the line PPG automotive paint with a PPG 2021 urethane cover with exceptional results, as I have done myself. It will run you about $500 if you do the job yourself, or about $3000 for other to prep, shoot and re-install the goods.I prefer to do it myself, it is time consuming, frustrating and yes sometimes not worth the effort, but in the end it is your work and speaks volumes of your values.
    propless

scorpionking
    i own two bodyshops here in st louis. i paint aluminum jetboat hulls that run in rough river conditions and i paint custom graphics on offshore powerboats in the 43-46 foot range. i have paintjobs that have been in saltwater for ten years that look like the day i painted them with the exception of any dockmonster scrapes that happen to any boat. on fiberglass,the important part is preperation of the surface. you must use a very strong wax and grease remover on the boat numerous times before you sand the boat. i use sikkens brand paint but all of the paint companies make one. then wetsand the hull with 600 grit 3m wetdri paper. make sure to remove any silicone sealant as paint will not stick to this no mater what you do. for paint,do not use a single stage paint as it will fade in time,they do not have the same uv protection a basecoat/clearcoat system has. ppg is available at a lot of parts stores,the deltron system with 2002 clear will give you a great gloss with very low maintenance for years. if you have any questions i will be glad to help you just email. good luck

JESSE
    jetaddict
    yes he did! but it is not my boat but i am going to have him do mine