Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running a Jet out of water?

miller19j
    I know that this has been covered many times but I am a little confused about something. Everyone is in agreement that you need water running through your jet but why? According to the rebuild manual for my berk pump the front bearings are greased the back are running in gear oil and the impeller has .030” to .025” clearance between it and the wear ring. So why do you need the water? If everything is within tolerance the impeller would never touch the wear ring.
    Am I missing something?

Hallett19
    just put water in it, ok !!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

miller19j
    Originally posted by Hallett19:
    just put water in it, ok !!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    Hallett Thank You for the reply but I was looking for a little more information than that. I am just curious if I am missing something.

Chestah Cheetah
    Originally posted by miller19j:
    If everything is within tolerance the impeller would never touch the wear ring.
    I'm just guessing, but I think that's the reason right there.......everything can never be up to perfect specs & tolerances. Or is it the heat generated between the impeller and wear ring?

rivercrazy
    I don't run mine out of water. Both the mfg and a few reputable rebuilding shops I've spoken with advise against it.
    There are a few ways of safely running your boat out of the water.
    1) If you can unhook the driveline (U-joints) with a hose to the motor thats the best way.
    2) If you have a gate valve with a T - Hook it up to the T and adjust the gate valve to supply water to both the jet and the engine (most going to the engine). Don't rev it too high this way. That might result in not enough water getting to the jet or engine.
    And be careful not to turn the water on too high. You can over-pressurize the engine block.

miller19j
    Originally posted by Chestah Cheetah:
    I'm just guessing, but I think that's the reason right there.......everything can never be up to perfect specs & tolerances. Or is it the heat generated between the impeller and wear ring?
    25 to 30 thousandths is quite a bit of clearance and as the wear ring wears that will only get bigger.

miller19j
    Originally posted by rivercrazy:
    I don't run mine out of water. Both the mfg and a few reputable rebuilding shops I've spoken with advise against it.
    There are a few ways of safely running your boat out of the water.
    1) If you can unhook the driveline (U-joints) with a hose to the motor thats the best way.
    2) If you have a gate valve with a T - Hook it up to the T and adjust the gate valve to supply water to both the jet and the engine (most going to the engine). Don't rev it too high this way. That might result in not enough water getting to the jet or engine.
    And be careful not to turn the water on too high. You can over-pressurize the engine block.
    I know that everyone recommends that you do it (run water through it)I am just trying to understand why?
    In the past I have always done it because I was told to I am wondering if we all are doing it for no reason?
    [This message has been edited by miller19j (edited June 20, 2002).]

1tricky1
    I've always heard the wear ring needs water as lubrication. Eventually heat will build up between the wear ring and the impeller. If you do a quick start and shut off, you may not hurt anything, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, never start it after towing for a while down the freeway. The jet will get road debris and small amounts of dirt and pebbles. Always submerge it or flush it, if you have access, after towing.

comin' unscrewed
    Also, never start it after towing for a while down the freeway. The jet will get road debris and small amounts of dirt and pebbles.
    That's what I was told. That and when you put it back on the trailer you invetably get silt and/or sand and grit in it.
    I won't run mine on the trailer even with a hose connected. I want it submerged to flush that shit out immediately.
    Fortunately I've got an 18" or 20" drive line I can remove for tune ups.
    [This message has been edited by comin' unscrewed (edited June 20, 2002).]

Freakonaleash
    no water in jet =no water in motor=ouch

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast