Thread: setting a pump back

76sanger
    how much of a hassle is it to set the pump back? and what are the advantages? is it worth it? i have 0 fiberglass experience, but i have a friend who can help me out. do i pull the pump. glass in the old hole and cut a new one (back further)? also, first time i tried to get my pump split in 2 i removed the 8 1/2" bolts from the bowl and wiggled pried and yanked and couldnt get it to break free from the pump. so how do i get it off? is there some silicone on the edge?
    im totally new at working on jets so any info would be greatly appreciated

HammerDown
    I did this job myself... the advantages. It moves the biteing edge of the pump back...so to free up more of the hull at top speed, (and it did work for me) thats if your going fast enough to benefit from the set-back in the first place. Also it gave me more room in the boat (my motor and pump went back about 7 inches.
    Once the intake is busted out of the hull, its a matter of making the hole longer not wider and the piece of fiber glass you cut out from the rear gets cleaned of all the gell coat, and epoxyed in the new void in front of the intake.(SEE PICS) but a sugestion to me from Jack M. was to leave at least a 1/2" of hull at the very rear to keep the strength and to avoid water leaks. (great tip!)
    On your Sanger,if its like my friends, Berk. made a special pump intake just for that hull. So it bolts up from the bottom...is that correct? And if so, I belive you would have to install a standard intake unit that mounts from the inside.
    There are several pics, almost step by step of my set-back floating around in the media center... Under HammerDowns winter project, or HammerDowns pump set-back? In the (jet section) There also posted on the Banderlog forum. See those pics, and it would be my pleasure to answer any of your questions about my pump set-back.
    [ October 26, 2002, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

HammerDown
    Try this for a link...never mind did'nt work.
    [ October 26, 2002, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

76sanger
    ill keep ya posted as i begin the project

HammerDown
    Thanks Randy...how could I find the ones on the Media Center? I belive there's even more.

76sanger
    thanks for the link. doesnt seem like too tough of a project. I'll talk to some people about fiberglassing (i know jack shit about it) so i dont mess it up. heres a couple more questions... seems to me the only parts i should have to buy are 1)the fiber glassing supplies. 2)throw away my old transom seal, and have a new one made.. i was thinking a 2 pc. stainless. is that good? 3. a longer drive shaft cuz i think im gonna move the pump back 7 or 8 inches and the motor only 1 or 2 inchs... so ill have a shaft made that is easily removeable (for out of water starting).
    should i figure in any other costs??

matt1
    Not sure but you might have to buy new cables,some one will let you know.Also you may have to make some sort of extention tube for your steering cable.
    [ October 27, 2002, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: matt1 ]

Clown
    76sanger:
    thanks for the link. doesnt seem like too tough of a project. I'll talk to some people about fiberglassing (i know jack shit about it) so i dont mess it up. heres a couple more questions... seems to me the only parts i should have to buy are 1)the fiber glassing supplies. 2)throw away my old transom seal, and have a new one made.. i was thinking a 2 pc. stainless. is that good? 3. a longer drive shaft cuz i think im gonna move the pump back 7 or 8 inches and the motor only 1 or 2 inchs... so ill have a shaft made that is easily removeable (for out of water starting).
    should i figure in any other costs?? Sanger do you have any Pictures of your pump in the boat right now?
    I have an Eliminator Daytona that I setback the pump in and I only went 4.5in . The opening for the shoe ,The leading Edge is 1/4in behind the back of the boat. If iI was to set it back any more It would not work at all ???????
    Lets see what you are dealing with first.

RandyH
    They are on the 97th page of Readers Rides under Jet boats. I did not see any photos that where not posted on the Banderlog link. Hell of a job by the way!!!!!!
    Randy