Thread: Panther Jet

Bow Tie Omega
    I have a Panther Jet in a 1980 21 ft Omega Day Cruiser. I found their Web site and others that can work on the Pump, but I am looking for a real users opinion of the Pump. Is this a pump I should keep, or not. What mods besides a new impeller and grate will improve upon it. Who should I take it to when I have it gone through.
    How tough is it to go through yourself ( the diagram of it looks very straight-forward). Any help would be appreciated...Joe

SleekPanther
    Hi Joe, I've got a Panther in my SleekCraft, but I've only had it a few months. Here's what I've learned so far. The impeller is stainless steel so it holds up well, but there are no aftermarket impellers available, you'll need to have yours worked on to improve performance. I've not seen any aftermarket grates either, I bought a new one after lodging a rock in the impeller. It is easy to work on though. I'd like to know who can do a good tune up job on this jet too. As to whether or not to get rid of the Panther, your only choice would be to replace the transom and intake as the boat was molded to take the Panther drive only. A jet-o-vater is available form Panther. I understand ADM boatworks offers a 10 percent discount on parts too. Is your reverse stiff or is my cable toasted?
    Good luck,
    Paul

BrendellaJet
    DONT go to ADM, that guy is a hack. Do a search here on the forum for ADM and you will see that this is the general consensus here.

BrendellaJet
    see my thread on this page titled "Pump Rebuild". read the whole thing and you will see what I am talking about.

flat broke
    Andy Dominguez is the guy you will probably want to take your panther to if you're in So. Cal. He was refered to me by MPD and Dave at Panther when I was looking to get work done on my old boat. Andy can be reached at 310-549-3203. The Panther diverter setup works for triming the boat, but won't give you a rooster. They get you for about a grand for the setup and the handle leaves a lot to be desired, and its just a standard non locking Morse shift lever. Other than that, the setup works as advertised and is really straight forward.
    Talk to you later,
    Chris

S/C Rebel
    I have a 18' Sleekcraft with the Panther jet. Its an easy enough pump to work on, has 17-4 PH stainless steel impeller and shaft, performs as well as most other unmodified pumps, Steve at Panther (parts) is helpfull and pleasant to deal with. For the down side, the performance potential is limited because there is no aftermarket performance parts for this pump. If you have plans of going really fast, get a different boat with the Berkely/Dominator pump IMO.

Bow Tie Omega
    Hey Guys. Thanks for the input. Doing 80 was never my goal, but what is the point of having a jet if you can not throw a little roost. My Dad and Grandfather are very experienced machinists and I have a good friend that is quite a fabricator. Maybe between them I can Fab something or build an adaptor for a place diverter. Anyways, thanks for your help, I will give that guy Andy a call (The MPD and Panther referral). Thanks again...Joe

79Hawaiian
    I don't know if it is true but I was told that the jetovator only changes the trim down, not up which is what you need to get more performance. That makes it pretty useless unless you have problems keeping the bow down.

flat broke
    Their diverter allowed me to trim the boat up and down. you could tell it was triming up because you could feel the boat get a little looser and actually accelerate a bit when you trimmed it out. you just wont get a rooster much higher than the deck of your boat.
    Chris