Thread: Fuel Shutoff

Old Guy
    I could sure use a little help here. Seems like a simple question, but I felt real dumb when a friend asked why I needed a fuel shutoff. I'm workin on a 76 Sleek Craft that has a fuel tank on each side near the rear of the boat. Replacing the 3/8" hose with new and feeding a 1/2" line that goes to the fuel pump and filter. I mentioned that all I needed was some 1/2" hose and a shutoff valve and I could finish the fuel system. My friend asked why I needed a shutoff valve. I told him that all the boats I have owned or worked on had a fuel shutoff valve. The fuel lines on this boat come out of the top of the tanks and everything (fuel pump, filter, carb) is higher than the top of the fuel tanks. He says "just more places for a leak, more restriction to flow, more stuff to buy, why do you need one?"
    Seems like the older I get, the less I know. Help me out here. Is a shutoff required by law or what?
    Thanks
    old

rrrr
    It's important to install an antisiphon valve at the tank/hose connection. It is a simple device that won't allow the passage of fuel unless there is a negative pressure on the pump side. In other words, when the pump is providing suction, the valve will allow flow. If the line breaks or is torn loose from the valve it will keep fuel from flowing out. I did some research and did not find any USCG or Texas state requirement for them, but I think they are required on new boats by AYBC standards. It's a cheap safety device, no reason to exclude it.
    I would put the shutoff valve in just for convenience during maintenance. Shut it off when you change the fuel filter and it will hold the siphon in the lines and pickup tubes and your engine will start faster when you're done. It also makes it easier at the end of the season to run the carb dry if that's one of your storage procedures.
    As far as restrictions go, unless you are running a huge HP engine, a 1/2" line is more than adequate and the pressure drop across the valve will have no effect on performance.
    Don't forget to use all stainless steel hose clamps. The ones you get at the auto parts store will rust (at least here in Texas they will).
    Besides, when you "told him that all the boats I have owned or worked on had a fuel shutoff valve." that's a good enough answer. Don't let other people's opinions dictate how you do things. If he was right, all of those boats would not have had a shutoff.
    http://www.iboats.com/products/7/239...on_valves.html

spectras only
    Old guy, most boats have the gas tanks under the floors where's the level of fuel is below the level of the fuel line feeding the fuel pump and carburator[s],hence the no need for fuel shut off with the antisiphon valve properly operating.However there are a few boats with saddle tanks on either side of a boat,where these tanks are mounted relatively high .If these tanks are full and a fuel line slips off the fuel pump or other unforseen problem occurs for instance, it could fill the bilge with fuel .Every boat I've seen with these saddle tanks had selectors at the stern for easy acces to shut off the flow in case a fuel line chafed or got demaged in the engine compartment.This is only my speculation so don't hold me responsible for it http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif .I've searched for coast guard regulations about this information but couldn't find one.Maybe someone else could find one.Another note about safety equipment is the blower that only became mandatory in 1980.Before that, two forward facing vents and two rearward were sufficient for ventilation.Two vents to vent the bottom at the gastank ,and two for the engine compartment. Ps; when I had my two boats surveyed,[one was made in 1972 ,the other in 1976]the surveyor was asking about the blower and I had to argue with him that the blower wasn't a requirement back then ,so he let me pass.I since installed a blower anyway just for extra safety.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited July 05, 2002).]

Old Guy
    WOW!!!
    Now that's service. I'm sure glad I asked for some help. I've used Anti-Siphon Valves in industrial applications many times, but I didn't know they had them for my boat. I was going to use a shutoff (just because), but I will put one at the outlet of each tank. It's a great safety device certainly worth installing. Also the cheapest boat part I've seen in a while.
    Thanks again.
    old

atlarge
    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    WOW!!!
    Now that's service. I'm sure glad I asked for some help. I've used Anti-Siphon Valves in industrial applications many times, but I didn't know they had them for my boat. I was going to use a shutoff (just because), but I will put one at the outlet of each tank. It's a great safety device certainly worth installing. Also the cheapest boat part I've seen in a while.
    Thanks again.
    old
    if you have two tanks and one goes dry or you forget to fill it. the fuel pump will suck air from the empty tank. you need the shut off or selector to shut down the empty tank
    good luck

oldsman
    the fueltank for my boat is in the nose, engine in rear...i don't have a shut-off, where would be a good place to put one...

spectras only
    oldsman ,one of the location would be near your fuelpump , or on the transom where it's easily accessible.

Moomawnster
    Yesterday I smelled gas and happened to look in the bilge .... Oh crap ! thats ALL gasoline ! ... Seven gallons ?!!!! What a mess....What a potential disaster! my anti siphon failed for reason unknown at this time but I suspect dirt stuck in the check ball. #1 reason to ban cigarettes in the boat ! But nicotine slaves just don't get it...... "can I light it on the bow?" ..... NO , NO and NO !!!!!