Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 carb settings

wet77
    I have a 460 ford .30 over with a single carb high rise intake nothing elso special except the over transum headers
    My question is I have a 750 holley right now is there any one else with a similiar setup and if so what kind or size or setup do you have.
    On mine the choke is gone the front power valve is plugged and jetted up , also a 30cc pump only.
    I still have hesitation when I mash the throttle from a go, anyone think a bigger pump or different jets maybe????
    Any tips I'm open!!

77charger
    it all depends on your motor set up.I ran a 3310 vac secondary i installed a spring kit for the secondaries and a rear metering block so i can use jets in the secondaries,I dont know the powervalve it has.i ran a 76 primary jet and an 80 rear the motor is a 429 with a decent cam,headers and compression was 11-1.If your motor has a smaller cam(near stock) put the power valve your carb came with and maybe go up a couple of sizes in jetting to start with.I am not agood carb troubleshooter but giving you info on what worked good in my combo i had.
    Hotcrusader76 on this forum is the expert to talk to.

jim@pj
    You need to put the power valve back in the carb. Set your timing so that you have a good initial advance, say 12 degrees. What type of distributor do you have? If the hesitation is still there, change the primary squiter up to .035 Good Luck Jim

wet77
    The holley is a 4150 with a metering plate in the back and a dual feed setup. the guy that set it up put the plug in front because on stock cars he ran he said it worked great, but I have been told by others that I should plug the back and put the power valve in front?
    I used the boat this way all last season and it ran out fine only when you wanted to floor it from a stop it would hesitate also if you where going around 300rpm and let off the gas instantly it would die.
    my distibuter I have not touched because it ran out ok before I started the carb work I am not sure what type it is and can not find a new cap for it for the life of me. it looks close to a stock ford but the cap I believe is a little shorter.

jim@pj
    Confused... The carb sounds a little different to me. You need to go to the choke horn and copy down the list number. This number describes the carb in the Holley book. Then I will know what it started out as... The Distributor is probably a prestolite single point. As the points wear the timing changes. You have to know exact timing in order to dial in an engine or you will never get it right. Keep trying.. Jim

wet77
    I,ll try to get those numbers still lots of snow on the boat right now.
    would you think a petronics setup instead of points be better?

jim@pj
    Under snow.... Electronic switching is always better JIm

wet77
    What type of distibuter would you recomend I am not looking to spend a lot Hoping for under $175
    Its just a mild 460 Ford and someday I plan to put in a 502 chevy.
    I see summitt has a unilite for around $140
    They also recomend a type of surge moduale for voltage spikes
    Ideas.......???

wet77
    also a someone told me once that the ford has a weak link in the ditributer to oil pump or cam???not sure which, just thinking if i do the dist. would it be time to check or fix this problem?
    (just trying not to rip the 460 apart all summer)

thedroid
    wet 77
    Get the power valve back in and forget what the stock car guy says. it's there for a reason. It smoothes the transition from idle to power so you DON'T HAVE A FLAT SPOT.
    The weak spot you wrote about on the BBF is possibly the oil pump driveshaft. It is about a 1/4" hex shaft that is fairly limp, especially when you run heavy weight oil and twist up the wick a little. Just replace it with a billet piece from summit, jegs, ford motorsport, etc. Usually less than 30 Bucks.
    What's wrong with the BBF. I have built engines of all types and have found the 385 series of ford engines to be good horsepower. It's just like anything else--- just build it for the purpose and build it once very well.
    The only other weakness is probably that the oil pickup is in the front on most all of these motors. That can remedied with a custom pan and pickup and also gives the advantage of more oil capacity.
    There seems to be a good amount of CobraJet Cylinder heads floating around where I'm at and with a little work they flow pretty well and add compression to your 460.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast