Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie pump question. Please help. I think I got screwed on a pump rebuild.

txboatnut
    Thanks for taking the time to read this. Last year my pump started making this terible noise. It is a Berk e pump I think(clean out is outside the boat). So I took it to a shop recomended by a friend. They told me the pump needs to be rebuilt. Not knowing shit about rebuilding a pump I told them ok since I was on the road for my job. Well Tonight I decide to give everything the once over before I put the seats back in and enjoy the summer. I greased the bearing on the front of the pump which looks like it had fresh grease on it. So I moved to the back of the pump to find the two cap screws you guys always talk about thinking I would check the bowel oil. Well it is pretty obvious that the did not take these of or the little plastic cover that goes over the pump. I could not get the cap screws out and they felt really soft and were trying to round off on the corners so I did not push my luck. Also the silicone on the bolts that holds the little plastic cover on looks pretty old. Not like what you would see if new silicone was used. So here is my question. Could the pump have been rebuilt with out accessing the back of the pump? And is there a easy way for a mechanical dumb ass like me to confirm my pump was really rebuilt? Thanks for the help and any advice would be great.
    Paul

txboatnut
    forgot to add it is a Taylor SS

GlastronGuy
    The noise usually indicates a driveline problem.
    Your RPMs going down might be an indication of a rebuilt (tighter) pump.

txboatnut
    thanks Glastron Guy. I really onnly had it on the water one or two times and the best I could get was 3700 rpm which was about 45 mph. Supposedly he put a AA impellor in during the rebuild.

Wet Dream
    txboatnut:
    thanks Glastron Guy. I really onnly had it on the water one or two times and the best I could get was 3700 rpm which was about 45 mph. Supposedly he put a AA impellor in during the rebuild. eek! eek!
    Why an AA? Especially if you're turning 3700? Who told him to do this? What engine? Somethings wrong here.

txboatnut
    Olds(I know all you guys are laughing)455 Stock as far as I know.

Wet Dream
    I'm running an Olds 455 and spin mine on an A impeller at 4800.

txboatnut
    That 45mph was on GPS. I thought it should be faster.

Wet Dream
    Drop an A in it. You'll get 55+. But you can't run wide open for too long. Much better acceleration too.

GlastronGuy
    Wet Dream:
    txboatnut:
    thanks Glastron Guy. I really onnly had it on the water one or two times and the best I could get was 3700 rpm which was about 45 mph. Supposedly he put a AA impellor in during the rebuild. eek! eek!
    Why an AA? Especially if you're turning 3700? Who told him to do this? What engine? Somethings wrong here. Agreed. That impeller is way too big. You could possibly even use a B.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast