Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Header leak

Danhercules
    I have got a header gasket leak. I changed the gaskets once and it seemed fine all weekend at the river. I took it to a local lake and its ticking bad. It warmed up and it went away. Any suggestions? How bout a double gasket?

I just run a single gasket. I do find that you need to retorque your header bolts periodically. They do loosen up over time, especially after the first couple trips with new gaskets.
    The same seems to be true of the header spiders. Mine always loosen up, no matter how much I tighten em. Just routine maintenance items.
    [ June 01, 2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Danhercules
    Think I need new gaskets again? Or just tighten the bolts?

Duke
    Danhercules:
    Think I need new gaskets again? Or just tighten the bolts? try the easy way out first, just tighten them

565edge
    I used to have those problems then i bought a set of copper gaskets,they came with a set of thick locking washers and i never had a problem again.

Danhercules
    I will try the easy fix 1st. If no luck I will try the copper gaskets and keep a eye on em and add it to my checklist of thigs to do before the like.. Hey New thread Idea!!! idea

I was thinking about getting a set of the copper gaskets but didn't know how they'd hold up. Thanks for the input. Next time I'm gonna try a set.
    Dan, I usually find that once the hardware loosens up, it'll blow out a piece of the gasket and they have to be replaced, but it wouldn't hurt to try the re-torque.
    I usually go through a set or two per season. Make sure you buy the CJ gaskets.
    [ June 01, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Danhercules
    I usually go through a set or two per season. Make sure you buy the CJ gaskets. [/QB]CJ????
    I bought FeltPro last time. Is CJ a brand or a type of gasket?

CJ = Cobrajet. If I remember right, you're running Cobrajet heads, yes? Even if you're running non CJ heads, you still want to use the CJ gaskets because all Bassett headers use the larger sized tubes n flanges. Using the non CJ gaskets (smaller size) will result in an ill fitting seal, leakeage and early failure. The paper/metal Felpros work fine, but I'm gonna try the copper ones next time around. They cost twice as much, but hopefully they'll last a little longer.
    [ June 01, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Danhercules
    I feel stupid. Yea, I got Cobra Jet gaskets. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast