Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Impeller?

cyclone
    at what point (hp) do you need to step up to a stainless steel impeller?

Leather&Lace455
    According to the impeller chart on www.liquidaddiction.net/impeller.html around 500 hp.

MikeF
    Mike, It would be a good idea to look @ the bronze impellers too as a viable alternative. I do not know if Legend makes them though?

caution 2
    You can probably run 600hp i know i have , with out problem, Jim

MikeF
    I would still probably go w/ the stronger metal. When @ speed in choppy water it is fairly easy to unload the pump by not keeping the rear of the hull planted in the water. This will shock the impeller pretty good when you're turning 5K+ and the intake loads w/ water again.
    Smooth water = No problem keeping it loaded.

G-Ride
    Good question. I recently posed it to GS in regards to my boat. My question was is it the high RPM's that require the change, you know in 5500-7500 range, or the added torque that comes with HP?

MikeF
    G-Ride:
    Good question. I recently posed it to GS in regards to my boat. My question was is it the high RPM's that require the change, you know in 5500-7500 range, or the added torque that comes with HP? Not sure exactly what you are referring to?
    If you are able to turn an impeller from 5500 to 7500 w/o cavitation, you are making ALOT of hp.
    It might have something to do with the increasing pressure in the bowl? Unlike a prop driven boat the jet pump is entirely in it's own realm. No water available it will freewheel, when the impeller sees water again.....large load back onto the impeller.
    [ December 18, 2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

cyclone
    i guess i need to take the pump apart and find out what's in there now.

MikeF
    cyclone:
    i guess i need to take the pump apart and find out what's in there now.Let me know when.....I'll help out w/ the removal .

cyclone
    sweet! when i get back from vacation i'll be having a tear the boat apart party at my house. Beer and chips are on me. It'll be the first or second weekend in January.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast