Thread: Re-coating Imco power-flow exhaust?

Jungle Boy
    Has anyone re-done (powdercoat) a set of Power-Flow exhaust?. Mine have a few scuffs on them and I'm thinking of having them stripped and re-coated. The guy that I deal with says that if they go above 300°F it will dull the finish of his powdercoating. Anyone done this???

flat broke
    JB,
    They're PC'd from the factory, so I don't see what the problem is. Asside from that, the Stainless marine manifolds I used to run never got that hot externally. You could always put your hand on em for a couple of seconds, so I doubt they were anywhere near 300 degrees.
    On another note, I forgot to give you props for your motor build up on the other thread. Very nice HP and TQ numbers for that not so small block
    Good luck,
    Chris

Jungle Boy
    Thanks, I hope it works good. On the power coating thing, the guy that I use says that there are 2 types of coatings; high temp (400°F plus) and normal. I was just not sure if they come with the high temp finish from the factory. It would be the shits if I was to get them done and then they turn dull after a short period of time and end up looking worse than they do now. I guess I'll try to track down a email address from Imco and see if they finish them with the regular coating or high temp. Being aluminum, I'm sure that they are not supposed to get that hot.

schiada96
    We cure pwdr coat here at 390 + or- 15 deg
    I've done a couple of sets with no problems. The only thing you have to worry about is outgassing on a casting.

Jungle Boy
    schiada96:
    We cure pwdr coat here at 390 + or- 15 deg
    I've done a couple of sets with no problems. The only thing you have to worry about is outgassing on a casting. What is outgassing?

hack job
    when the metal puts out gas and cuases bubles( small ons) in the pc i would put them in the oven for 400 for aobut 1 hour with no pc on them then i would let them cool spray them and do it again. just my two cents and it has worked well for me. wink

flat broke
    While Hackjob has the right idea, I'd like to add a little to it. On cast parts, I'd prefer to bring it up to baking temp slowly, then slowly bring it back down. (this is before you spray) The only thing I can't remember from when we did HJ's tunnel ram was weather or not we shot the part warm or at room temp. Maybe HJ can remember, better yet Schiada96 could share a little info on the proper prep method as I know he has a lot of experience with PC.
    Chris

miller19j
    Given that the part was powder coated once would out gassing really be an issue? WouldnÂ’t any pockets of gas trapped in the casting outgas during the first process?