Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uh oh...spaghetti-o's

Terrible Buddhist
    Ahh the wonderfull northeast...home of changing leaves, glorious springs, and dreadful winters that pop a freeze plug on my big block chevy!
    So a couple questions...the freeze plug on the pax side popped out...what are the odds I have lost the block? How do I find out?
    Who makes a drainage 'switch' for changing oil? In other words something that screws into the oil pan that I can attach a hose to so I am not just filling my bilge with oil.

Blown 472
    Maybe put a new plug in it, pressurize the block, pull the spark plugs and crank it over, and check the oil???

spectratoad
    I had two of mine pop last winter. I was pulling the motor anyway so I looked at the block carfully, put the plugs back in did what 472 says and everything worked fine.

cyclone
    the freeze plug popped out because it was doing its job. When i lived in NY, my motor popped 'em every winter. I never had any problem with the block cracking and NY winters were always super cold.

timitunnel
    Any boat parts house will have a kit for the oil. Install a new freeze plug and then diconnect the line from the jet to the motor, turn the water on and see if you get water in the engine. The most common place for a chevy to break is along the lifter galley. Hope this helps. Tim

malcolm
    They are'nt "freeze" plugs. You can very easily loose a block even if the plugs come out. It's a lot easier to drain the motor in the fall, than to wait till spring and take your chances.

HOSS
    Summit sells a petcock for the block to drain all water out of the jackets. Down here theres no need usually. Friend cracked a 428 SCJ lifter valley. If it popped one, I `d just put a new one in. Run water first but I feel you`ll be ok.

Chris J
    There actually called casting plugs and are only there because the casting process requires them. They can occationally save a block from cracking though. Bests thing to do is remove the two 1/4 NTP plugs. This will drain the block completely. They're located one each side near the factory motor mounts.
    Quick question: Anyone do a hard block, seems a jet boat would be a perfect application for a fill to the water pump holes?

I have filled the water jackets on a few Fords with block filler when boring them big. no cooling problems.

TX19
    Chris...
    I have also filled my jet boat engine block with Hard Block and have had no problems. The engine is a normally aspirated, pump gas only, 514 inch Ford / 700 horsepower. It was filled to the bottom of the "freeze plugs". This is the second engine I have done this way and have not had any problems related to the block filler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast