Thread: A simple mod for an Edelbrock carb?

AntRant
    Right now i have an Edelbrock vacum sec carb. I wanted to go to a manual sec but noticed that Edelbrock nor Carter make manual sec carbs. As i look down the throat is see the counter weighted seconday butterfly and under that the manual secondary butterfly. My question is this, couldnt i take the carb apart, remove the counter weighted butterfly assembly, reasseble the carb, and now have a manual secondary carb? No "just get a Holley" please

AntRant, don't do it!!! Technically those are mechanical secondary carbs. The throttle blades are not vacuum controlled, they are opened by a mechanical linkage to the primaries. That air valve at the top of the secondaries does several things. First, it helps maintain a higher air speed through the secondaries. This helps to keep a good vacuum signal for fuel metering. Secondly, and very importantly, it is connected to the secondary fuel metering rods. As the valve opens it lifts 2 stepped needles up out of the secondary jets. This provides progressive fuel metering as engine demand(air speed) increases.
    These carbs are tuneable, but you have to understand them and have access to the right parts.
    Are you having some kind of problem with your carb or just want to be able to say you have "mechanical secondaries"?
    [ August 22, 2002, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

malcolm
    That carb is manual secondary. The weighted butterflies are to smooth out the transition when you romp on it. Are they not opening? Maybe they're hanging up. I would think you would get a pretty good stumble out of it if you removed them.

wideopen545
    iam running a set of 750 carters hav had all the mods done leave the weights in
    iam running a blown bbc if you take them out it will fall flat on its ass when you nail it
    be sure you jet it heavey they like to run on the lean side were useing a small rod and a very large rear jet 135 i belive keep in mind this is on a blown motor hope this will help

AntRant
    The reason i was asking is because after i changed from my Holley (4776 i think)600cfm w/mechanical sec to an Edelbrock 600cfm w/vacuum sec. i noticed that the boat would have a little stumble when i would go from about 1500rpm to full.