Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olds Exhaust

Tahiti Owner
    Looking for a reasonably priced set of headers for an Olds 455. I am running aluminum log style manifolds and the right side seems to be warped it does not matter how much i try to tighten it up it still blows out the gasket and leaks...
    Any ideas????

Old's are notorious for warped manifolds. You might try surfacing the manifolds. We also carry copper "embossed" exhaust gaskets that seem to work well. Need to start with a flat surface though.

cyclone
    there are a few sets of headers on ebay right now.

BigDaddy
    Tahiti Owner:
    Looking for a reasonably priced set of headers for an Olds 455. I am running aluminum log style manifolds and the right side seems to be warped it does not matter how much i try to tighten it up it still blows out the gasket and leaks...
    Any ideas????Hey Tahiti Try those Copper ones I have the same Problem with my Olds But mine are over the Transom Headers from Basset and when I use Paper ones they dont last long from the water and evrything but try those Copper ones it may solve your problem.
    Take care Keep it wet BIGDADDY

jet4fun
    call rewarder or bassett, they both are great people to go with, that is if you are looking for "brand new" headers of course

malcolm
    My Olds logs leak too. I'm going to go with the copper gaskets this time. Also gonna find a big belt sander to surface the logs real good.

Wet Dream
    I don't know what you are looking to get, but I just bought a set this summer, the T valve wasn't working correctly so the got a little blued. Other than that they are in perfect condition. I was thinking of having them rechromed, but that is over 1/2 the price of new ones. So if I can sell the new ones and buy newer ones, I might be able to take better care of them. I might be interested in selling them. Or, I have my real old ones, they work, not the best looking things, but a little welding on the bottom bends, and a little elbow grease and they will do just fine. They were on the boat when I bought it, and knew they had to go. If you want to pay the shipping, I'll send the old ones to you. But please know that they are not nice and new and shiny.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/Mvc-740f.JPG[/img]

DG
    I found that if I retorque the exhaust manifold bolts after every use while the motors still warm, I can avoid blowing out the gaskets. If I get lazy or forget to tetorque them, sure enough I get a leak.

Kwicherbichen
    DG:
    I found that if I retorque the exhaust manifold bolts after every use while the motors still warm, I can avoid blowing out the gaskets. If I get lazy or forget to tetorque them, sure enough I get a leak.Doing this and using the copper gaskets works pretty good I hear.

SLO POKE
    I was having the same problem I found gaskets
    that are shiny dark gray real soft or ease to damage . I have 4 hours & no ticking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast