Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High RMP Backfire

Wet Dream
    Every so often it would backfire at high revs, never in a controlled or repeating manor, but occassionally, from the exhaust. I don;t know if I should look for cracked plug wires, or my distributor cap. The reason I question the dist cap is due to the fact that it was pouring rain (6 hours straight) while towing down to Anna. I did have water in the oil, but found its way into the block via the breather. I'm thinking that water or condensation is the culprit in the cap and when run hot, it would foul a spark once in a while. Anyone else wanna give their $.02 worth?? Thanks in advance. It never did this before, just toward the end of the last day.

78Eliminator
    Could be:
    a. a lean condition
    b. water in the fuel (or cyliners)
    c. timing off
    My suggestion is to do a full tune up. Replace sparks, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter (if you have one).
    Also, you might want to get out on the lake (or river) and hammer your boat and once you've been at full throttle for about 30 seconds, cut the engine and pull a plug out and see what's up. Just don't drop it in the water : )
    78Elim (Justin)

beached1
    Have you changed or rejetted your carb recently? It sounds like you may be running lean.

Wet Dream
    Its definately running rich, I kinda like it that way. Water in the fuel, possible, but the glass filter shows it clean, timing maybe, but this is an intermittent problem.

78Eliminator
    Well, how do you know it's rich? Do a plug reading. Do it for your country.
    78Elim
    Stars and Stripes

Torino Jet
    My Olds 455 did this for a long time. I thought it was a jetting issue, and just assumed that i wasn't a master carb tuner. It turned out to be the timing advance. I have a mallory unilite w/ meachanical advance, and it wasn't advancing enough. Fixed that problem , and it hasn't popped since.

Cheyenne19
    What kind of dist. do you run? I would be suspicious of the rain and your dist.

Wet Dream
    The plugs look great, good burn, little rich, still healthy, the distributor is an HEI jobber with vac adv. Everything was working great until late Sunday. I was going to run it this afternoon, but I have too many things going on right now.

78Eliminator
    If you have so much going on, how are you able to post sucka?
    jk

Wet Dream
    Most of whats keeping me busy is posting pics of the Anna trip. I have over 140 pics. The rest is trying to tackle the yardwork that was neglected while I was gone. There's always next weekend for that, right?? But boating will probably be on the agenda. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast