Thread: newbie

bmff
    Ok-here it is. Old boat, old car and old man. 72 Sidewinder, 72 Ranchero and me. Lots older.
    Here is my problem(History).
    Purchased boat,(actually free), He wanted too much so I upped the price on a job I was doing.
    Engine 1- Really special-yeah right-died on trailer.
    Engine 2- New rebuilt from newspaper. 3 hrs and died from no oil. 35 mph.
    Engine 3- Rebuilt it myself. Ran great for over one year at 4500 rpm. So I just happened to have an original 3 duece set up. 4800 rpm--Bang--no oil.
    Engine 4- 474 Ford (460) Flipped it and fixed the hook etc. 50 mph same spedo at 5000 rpm.
    Now for the problem.
    Runs great at 50. at 55mph and 5500rpm the bow comes down and the side spray moves from the front of the engine up to in front of the driver. In other words the boat lays down and takes a set. How do I get it up on top of the water again. The diverter did absolutly no good. The 9 vane bowl did no good. The pump rebuild did no good. 12JBA. What is it, I have not seen it listed? Yes I know it is a Berkley. The engine should have about 500 hp.
    Ps. It sucks a lot of gas. 2mpg?
    Thanks for anything.

1HOTGMCJET
    Loader grate? Droop? Wedge? All of the above? Not sure, but these are what I've heard mentioned to get a boat to "dry out".........Best of Luck!
    [ December 11, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: 1HOTGMCJET ]

bmff
    No droop. Will it really help? Loader grate--welded angle iron--it will be installed this spring(as per Greg Shoemaker(sp?). Will a wedge help with a diverter?

Old Guy
    I had a '72 Sidewinder. The Berkley pump (original) was what is refered to as an "insert" type pump. It's molded into the bottom when the boat is made. This makes it difficult if not impossible to install a ride plate and shoe. So I didn't. I did install a hyd. Place diverter. It made a lot of difference. I tried a droop. Boat didn't like it. I acted like the droop was draging it down. Took the droop off. Never tried a wedge. It might help. Boat was 18' with an Olds (about 500hp), ran in high 70 mph.
    old

sidewound
    Hey, Me lots older too. I've got a 72 Sidewinder. What kinda exhaust ya runnin? I'm trying to find out if Hardin logs will fit under the engine cover with my 455. It had box berkleys and seemed tight. Got any clue? Whoever is gettin 500 horse out of a 455 is really doin sumthin. Sounds like a mondello motor. Peace man.

Old Guy
    Yeah I sent a bunch of money to Mondello. Motor works pretty good. I burned out the original box type manifolds and switched to Glenwood manifolds and risers. I had to tip the risers in towards the center of the boat and cut away some fiberglass to get the thing together. I sold the Sidewinder but kept the motor and put it in a '76 Sleek Craft. The Glenwood exhaust system wouldn't come close to fitting. The original motor in the Sleek had Hardin logs and risers. I decided to use them instead of the Glenwood stuff. HOWEVER...I noticed that the Hardin logs have a 3" outlet. The risers have a 2 1/2" inlet. Bigtime restriction. I ended up using the Hardin logs with the Glenwood risers. This gives me a 3 1/2" exhaust hose out from the risers. They are fussy about noise around here so I'm running 4" mufflers that have a 3 1/2" inlet. I have some pics if you need to see the setup.
    old