Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally fixed the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Well guys I finally ran the newborn. Heres what I experienced tonight. I looked in the headers while running(@2000 rpm's) and the left side had 3 light flames at the collector and the right side had no flames. Why would the right side be running lean? My oil pressure after running was at 5psi @ idle(800 rpm's) and 25psi while running at 2000rpm's. My brand new freeze plugs were leaking lightly, what would cause this? The only thing that was nice was thew temp(140). Any thoughts on this? I want to work all the bugs out before OP6. Could you guys give me some feedback? Thanks, Michael
    Oh the motor is a fresh 455 olds .30 over with about 10.5-1 compression running av gas with dual holley 600's.
    [ June 12, 2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT ]

Hotcrusader76
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    Well guys I finally ran the newborn. Heres what I experienced tonight. I looked in the headers while running(@2000 rpm's) and the left side had 3 light flames at the collector and the right side had no flames. Why would the right side be running lean? My oil pressure after running was at 5psi @ idle(800 rpm's) and 25psi while running at 2000rpm's. My brand new freeze plugs were leaking lightly, what would cause this? The only thing that was nice was thew temp(140). Any thoughts on this? I want to work all the bugs out before OP6. Could you guys give me some feedback? Thanks, Michael
    Oh the motor is a fresh 455 olds .30 over with about 10.5-1 compression running av gas with dual holley 600's. Call me tomorrow on this one. There are so many questions I would have before directed one into this fireball.
    (877)TPC-CARB
    ~Ty

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    bump

Hallett19
    oil pressure is a huge concern, how does the oil look ? Are you hearing any knocking sounds ? If the guage is right and your oil press. is that low.... you have yourself quite a problem. The flames sounds like timing or carb issue. What is up with your motors man !?!?! I thought I had problems !!! I think its crate motor time.

TheDude7667
    Tell you one thing like what hallett said, oil pressure. That sure seems low especially for 455. My 455 runs at 45-50 psi but thats at operating temp around 190 degrees not 140 degrees. Your freeze plugs are leaking probaly becuase you put silicone on them instead of hard drying permatex. You dont need the avgas and you better figure out why you oil pressure is low. Figure out the oil problem.

BiggusJimbus
    Ok,
    I just went through this. Pull your distributor and look down in there with a flashlight.
    About 2 inches down and toward the front of the block, there should be a galley plug with a .040 hole drilled in it (for oiling the distributor gear).
    If it is missing, you'll have to pull the freeze plug on the back left of the engine and get a galley plug in there.
    If it is there, then that's not your problem. But it was my problem. The machinist put in the freeze plugs, but didn't get that galley plug in there. I didn't question it when It came back in a bag of parts he gave me. Live and learn.
    Seems like you are getting a bit better pressure than I was, so that may not be the prob. There are also 2 plugs that go at the front of the motor behind the timing chain. One of these has a .040 oiling hole as well (Driver's side, I believe). Make sure those are in place.
    Good Luck.

oldphart
    are you reading your oil press at the top of the engine? I once had a 455 that did and ran low pressure like that for 2 years. I finally tapped in down by the filter and the gauge red 50 lbs cold 35 hot. not great but a hell of alot better than 10 and 20 before. the oil pressure was the same but it made me feel better. The next time I rebuilt it I put in Mondello restricters and then it made pressure like a normal engine. Oiling is one of the Oldses real problems

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    The mechanical guage i bought was wrong. I borrowed one from the guy who takes care of all ne boat needs and she is ok now. I am at 20@ idle and 40 running(on the trailer). I also added thicker oil. I am almost ready to go out. I will be playing with the timing in the morning. What do you guys recommend for a 10.5-1 motor? Right now I am set up for 30 degrees total so she wont blow up. Also, I am going to replace the freeze plugs tomorrow.

Jetty 468
    Whew 5 - 25psi eek! If I ever saw that on mine I would be shutting her down quick and shouting all kind's of four lettered word's !! Been there with the old's and after the second one tooked a shit on me I did not care how much it cost to change motor mount's ,exhaust drive line over to a BBC . Hope you get it worked out in time for op6 if not catch a ride with someone and drink mucho cold one's

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    BiggusJimbus:
    Ok,
    I just went through this. Pull your distributor and look down in there with a flashlight.
    About 2 inches down and toward the front of the block, there should be a galley plug with a .040 hole drilled in it (for oiling the distributor gear).
    If it is missing, you'll have to pull the freeze plug on the back left of the engine and get a galley plug in there.
    If it is there, then that's not your problem. But it was my problem. The machinist put in the freeze plugs, but didn't get that galley plug in there. I didn't question it when It came back in a bag of parts he gave me. Live and learn.
    Seems like you are getting a bit better pressure than I was, so that may not be the prob. There are also 2 plugs that go at the front of the motor behind the timing chain. One of these has a .040 oiling hole as well (Driver's side, I believe). Make sure those are in place.
    Good Luck. All the plugs are ther because I put them in wink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast