Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate milkshake oil, yummy

fourspeednup
    I have monitored the hot boat forums for some time but just joined about an hour ago. Any advice to a starving asu student who spends all of his money on gas and food on the river? '76 Brendella jet w/455 olds, berkely pump. Motor checks out fine, just did head gaskets and all others seal fine. Too much back pressure in return lines? I'm very familiar with automotive stuff but boats are uncharted territory. Sorry, no cool personal features yet but I'm all over it.

Dr. Eagle
    My friends daytona had a leak in the head gasket that caused his problem. He just recently fixed it even though it did not resemble a head gasket problem. He only got water in the oil above 4,000 RPM.
    You may have a cracked head if your positive that your gaskets are sealed. The other place to check would be the intake manifold to see that it is sealing properly. The water jacket gets pretty highly pressurized from the feed from the jet pump, so it will find any weak links in your water jackets, passages and gaskets.
    Also, what kind of exhaust set up do you have?

fourspeednup
    Due to a serious lack of funds (beer or magnaflux?) I did not have the heads checked when replacing the gaskets. This is probably the problem but I just don't want to face it. I'm running bassett wet over-transom headers and coming from an automotive background, this just seemed like water would back up at low rpm. The motor performs great and I just change the oil every 4 hours. Since switching to 20-50, the oil seems to last a little longer.

Sangster
    Sounds like an intake manifold not properly sealed..Olds are known for that...you need to be sure and use gasket sets for marine use..They are different and you can through away the valley pan..It causes alot of water leaks...have your boat shop call "Mondello"........ If you Must run an Olds...Talk to Mondello, They know Olsmobile's and are happy to talk to you about them.....

[ September 26, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

GlastronGuy
    Sangster:
    Sounds like an intake manifold not properly sealed..Olds are known for that...you need to be sure and use gasket sets for marine use..They are different and you can through away the valley pan..It causes alot of water leaks...have your boat shop call "Mondello"........ ..... Yep
    If you used the turkey tray you need to throw it away. Get the Mondello vallet tray.
    Also re-torque everything. It took 3 times to get my intake to seat and twice for the heads.
    [ September 26, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

77cobra jet
    i had the same prob in my boat earlier this year. it has the olds 455 and i found that the intake gasket was the culprit. you need to pull the intake off the motor and see if you have the metal pan under the intake(aka turkey tray) if you do, pull it out and throw it as far as you can then go down to your lacal auto parts house and pick up a set of mr. gasket ultra seal gaskets.remember to apply a bit of silicone around the water jackets. you might also want to throw the intake end rubers away and just use about a 1/4 inch bead of silicone instead. about 20 bucks to fix and a couple of hours time. just think of the money you will save by not having to change oil every 4 hours!! hope this helps

Dr. Eagle
    Yes the intake manifold would be a likely culpret. If the headers were causing reversion or the head was leaking a lot of water you would probably hydraulic the motor. And if it were a smaller leak it would probably take a while for the milkshake to mix.
    [ September 26, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

Sangster
    Be sure to clean all surfaces with Lacquer thinner or something to remove all oil film on the Heads, Block & intake..... smile_sp

fourspeednup
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I apreciate it. The first thing I did was change the intake manifold gasket but i used one of those valley pans which have worked fine on my cars. Apparently things are different on a boat where the jet pumps water at higher pressure. If it isn't the gasket I have an idea....
    Run it wide open and see how far it goes with foam in the crankcase. Gonna need a good friend to tow me home though.
    How do you post pics?

Sangster
    The Valley pans don't work in boats......Call mondello, they will have the stuff to fix it right, the first time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast