Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intake grate bolts

Shockwave
    Well, I'm nearing the end of my project boat-
    Beismeyer 18 w/ 454 & JG- went to put the intake grate on and found that two of the bolts that hold it on are broken off in the intake piece. When I bought the hull, the intake grate was just laying in the back- and I never crawled up under the boat to check the holes. The broken bolts are stainless. Was gonna go w/ a heli-coil but no luck drilling them- they are totally hard- just burns up the drill point. Taking this intake out of the boat is not an option. Working upside down sucks too. Anyone have any suggestions? - this is practically all that's keeping me from the water.
    HB

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    use harder drill bits.......go spend the money on some good bits and you should be able to drill them out and use an easy out. Note to the wise. Use stainless bolts again but this time use neverseize. Greatest stuff ever. can buy it at auto parts and keeps it from galding for future removal. Good luck now get to drillin'
    Omega

Taylorman
    You need cobalt drill bits to drill stainless. Its hard as hell to drill. Like omega said, you also need an easy out.

Blown 472
    If you are going to drill stainless turn the drill slow, if you go balls out you will burn up the drill bit.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    might not hurt to put some cutting oil on the end of the bit and re-oil often to help keep bit cool and lubricated. Don't forget the neversieze when you put it back together.
    Omega

victorfb
    and most importantly... wear eye protection!!!
    working upside down like that sucks. and its allways the tiny shavings you cant see that falls in your eyes. and with stainless they will not rust and deteriate in the eye. i know that sounds silly, but normally iron, steel, and even aluminium will eventually get eaten up by your eyes natural ability to heal. but stainless lasts a long time. just be carefull.

HBjet
    Take your time on trying to get those out. The ideal way is to remove the intake so you can use a drill press to prevent the bit from walking on you. If the bit starts to walk on you, then stop, fast. Which bolts are broken? Are they in the front or the back? Also, what size are the bolts? I would recommend 5/16-18 if they aren't already that size, and I would also through bolt them if you have the clearance below your oil pan. Just make sure if you drill the holes through, you don't also drill into your oil pan, that would be bad! If you can't drill the front two due to not having room, then at least drill the back two through. All you need is a 1-1/2" long bolt, washer, and nyloc nut. Oh, and make sure you use Anti-Seize on everything.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet

Shockwave
    They Are 5/16-18UNC- the two front ones are broken- and there isn't even enough clearance between the pan and the inside to get a finger in. The rear two appear to have been through- bolted- the threads are all boogered up and there are washer marks on the inside. From the kind of crud I dug out of the holes on the front two it looks like whoever had it before me was only using the back two. I'll try to locate a cobalt bit and try again after work. I'm afraid I have work-hardened it at this point- anybody got a portable EDM I can borrow?
    HB

Snorider
    The easiest thing to go is go out and buy left-handed drill bits (they do exist). Then you put your drill on reverse. This way, as the drill bit bites, it loosens the bolt. usually the bolts will walk right out with the drill bit, so no need to helicoil.

HBjet
    Snorider:
    The easiest thing to go is go out and buy left-handed drill bits (they do exist). Then you put your drill on reverse. This way, as the drill bit bites, it loosens the bolt. usually the bolts will walk right out with the drill bit, so no need to helicoil. Or just use regular drill bits and an Easy Out!
    HBjet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast