Thread: looking for used mercury sport jet.or boat salvage yard

scorpionking
    hello all, i am looking for a used mercury sport jet motor and pump assembly. i would love to find a totaled out fiberglass small jet boat so i could use the steering and throtle etc.
    i have had no luck finding a boat salvage yard.
    any sugestions??? in case you are wondering, i am taking a 1957 duracraft 14 ft aluminum closed bow runabout and redoing it like a 1957 chevy belair and want an inboard jet setup.

SB
    You could try keeping an eye on this site: usauctions.com

Rivernut
    Most of them sold are in Bass Tracker aluminum jet boats. They are not designed well, and I would avoid using one. They have no clean-out hole, unlike the more popular full-sized jet pumps. The Merc ones tend to overheat from clogging, and that is a death sentence for an aluminum block. A new American Turbine is only about $2000 I think, maybe less.

jacuzer
    Scorpi,
    How hard are you going to use the boat?
    Novelty/tooling around?
    I would think you could find a thrashed PWC easier since there are so many. You could probably take your pick of performance packages.
    Seems you will be doing a lot of conversion work anyway. Replace the handlebars with a steering wheel etc.
    This seems (to me)like it would work fine if you are just going to mess around (just guessing by the by the size/type of your base boat)
    Kevin

scorpionking
    i have thought about that. i'm not sure what the minimum size would need to be to get the speed i want. i would like to see 40-45 mph. the hull weighs around 200 lbs. the sport jet setup would be perfect,but i may end up going with a pwc setup if i cant find anything. i would love to throw in a smallblock with a good pump but i'm worried about the weight.

jacuzer
    Go here: www.nzjetboating.com and check out dingy1 & dingy2 movies(WMFs)
    Kind of what you may be looking at.
    Kevin

scorpionking
    how the heck do you post pics on these things, i would post a pic of the boat if i could figure out how.

jacuzer
    There is a thread "how to post pictures..." or something like that on one of the forums. Do a search and it should turn up.
    Kevin