Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Steering Question

78Eliminator
    Why is it that most jets have a single shaft to steer the jet nozzle, yet the racers have two cables on each side of the jet which steers the nozzle similar to that of a rudder on an airplane? Why don't the racers use the shaft version?

Taylorman
    Have no clue but I would like to know the answer to that question also.

kojac
    I just spoke to John at Big A's yesterday one this very same topic. His comment was that the cable is only safe up to 450 horsepower. The cables give a better performance and will not allow the steering to become wobbly at high speed/thrust pressures and will allow the boat to drive in a straight line. The cable connection can break off at the nozzle. Had this happen once. Thank goodness I found it just prior to going back on the race course. At the time I didn't know what caused this phenomenom.
    Kojac...

HBjet
    I've never heard of the cable being safe up to 450hp! Are you talking about "One Cable" steering with an extension to the nozzle verses the "Dual Cable" steering where both cables are attached to a T which is connected to the nozzle?
    If so, I haven't heard of any HP safety rating between the two. I've seen 1000hp jets with the standard one cable steering and they have handled just fine. As far as I know, the dual cable steering setup is something you usually see at the drags, and it basically takes all the play out of the nozzle, which in theory would allow you to go in a straighter line.
    anyone please correct me if you think I'm wrong!
    HBjet

Bense468
    The dual cable steering is called calgo steering. It is a real nice setup. You can run them on river boats too.

Wet Dream
    I'm not buying the 450hp rule. I would however accept the reasoning that the twin cable system does one of two things, or both...
    #1 Allows for a faster ratio for turning or a slower ratio to reduce the chance of turning the nozzle if you get jostled in the seat.
    #2 Needs less effort to turn the wheel when you have 1000hp pusing the water and trying to keep the nozzle straight.
    Just my theory.

MikeF
    Yeah....The first time back in the water, I had Justin drive it a little so as I could go back there and check what was going on around the engine. J was all over the place steering way to much (ass end of the boat L,R,L,R,L,R,L ). He was used to the way his boat steered....not the Calgo cable type wink .

Duane HTP
    The rack and pinion steering weighs in at about 14 lb. The Calgo steering weighs in at 6 3/4 lbs.That is the reason we used them. Weight!!

timitunnel
    It usually boils down to somthing simple. Tim

HBjet
    Duane HTP:
    The rack and pinion steering weighs in at about 14 lb. The Calgo steering weighs in at 6 3/4 lbs.That is the reason we used them. Weight!! Is that the only reason? I would think there is more to it then just a 7 pound difference!
    HBjet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast